Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Hill Holder dilemma....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Hill Holder dilemma....?

I have a poorly working HH in my donor 63' Cruiser. Specifically, when on an incline, the HH works but won't release unless I pump the brake pedal a few times...then all is well.....What's going on here ? Also, the recipient, a 62' wagon, has a HH but function is unknown. It was a desert car and has a nice under carriage but has probably sat for >5yrs. Brake system was closed. What to do ?

Hill Holder release is accomplished by pushing clutch pedal all the way in. If working properly

Comment

Sounds like brake fluid in yours has created dried crud which is stopping the ball inside from moving freely. They can be taken apart and cleaned. As far as the one on the donor car, if you take it off and you can hear the ball moving inside when you shake it, it is probably good. You can also flush them with denatured alcohol to clean them out without taking them apart. So you might try taking the one off the donor car and if it rattles when shaken then flush and install once you have the alcohol all out. Good luck. They are definitely a nice feature to have.
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Actually the hill holder release is when the clutch is released....which would be the pedal all the way out.
        Check for worn engine mounts, then look to the adjustment at the clutch lever.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
        X