Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did they ever Make a 6 volt timing Light ,or are they universal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Did they ever Make a 6 volt timing Light ,or are they universal?

That's my question up there. I don't have a timing light . Hope thats a good question for the day!

The old cheapie timing lights I've had didn't care about primary voltage, they flashed by spark voltage. You put them in parallel with the #1 plug wire. Not the brightest, but in the garage, under the hood, with whiteout on the pointer and the pulley, you could see and adjust the distributor.

Not even sure if those are sold anymore.
    sigpic
    JohnP, driving & reviving
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Somewhere, in my tool cache, I have a timing light that is AC powered. The impulse from the spark plug wire merely triggers the light. Works the same regardless of vehicle voltage. I think the brand is Milton...not sure.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...p?t-21623.html
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Goodness Jeff!...speaking of reaching deep...you're the best with the search skills!
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Not really...
            Thought it was a good question, and when I Google'd "6v timing light", this was one of the Google links.
            The answers in that thread were pretty good, so I just shared it....
            (Keeping it 'in house' is a good thing!)
            Jeff

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            Goodness Jeff!...speaking of reaching deep...you're the best with the search skills!
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

For what it is worth my circa 1990 Craftsman timing light works at 6V but is very dim. In sunlight I power it off a 12V battery and everything is good.

Comment

I have a 6 volt timing light in my tool collection. I bought the thing years ago at a swap meet and still use it occasionally on the older cars. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  Somewhere, in my tool cache, I have a timing light that is AC powered. The impulse from the spark plug wire merely triggers the light. Works the same regardless of vehicle voltage. I think the brand is Milton...not sure.
                  I have used a similar type for MANY years.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have Snap-on dual 6V/12V timing light. It has a switch on it that changes the battery input voltage. It is about 40 years old.

Terry

Comment

got a Sears Penske for 20.00 if any body is in need. cheers jimmijim
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

My old Sears light has worked since I got it in the late '50's 6 or 12... it works fine. The only problem is I lost the coil spring that linked #1 cable with the plug (you clamp the clip onto the spring). I cobbled up a replacement setup, but you can easily ground out the plug. I bought a used induction type at a swap meet a number of years ago and it is now my first choice. There was no paper-work with it, but it seems to work fine on 6 or 12 volts as well.

Comment

You can sometimes find 6 volt timing lights at swap meets, but who knows if they work? I have an old Sun that I love and have had it for 40 years at least.

The ones that run on 110v seem to be really hard to find.

The ones that require no external power, but are powered by the spark plug only usually are not very bright.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I bought a new one about a year ago. I couldn't find one that worked on 6v. So I just hook up my battery charger to power the timing light to power it with 12v, works fine. Years ago I had a cheapie that hooked up in series with the #1 spark plug wire. wasn't bright but didn't require power to operate...
                            1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
                            See rescue progress here on this blog:
                            http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X