Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

My improvised engine test stand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: My improvised engine test stand.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

John, if I hear a loud explosion from your direction I'll come a runnin
    Dave Hugo
    Duncan, SC
    sigpic 1959 Silver Hawk 1955 President

Comment

Here are a few things off the top of my head.

Make sure that the engine will/can not get away from you physically when it's revved up. Chain it down, bolt it down, keep it under control. Don't get crushed or break any bones.

Think about fire control, fire spreading to other places, fumes and breathing, fumes and fouling any areas of the living space, making sure that you can turn the thing off immediately on command.

Look at the gasolene system closely. Make sure you only have the smallest tank, make sure you can turn off the fuel with the simplest/quickest motion. Make sure the fuel line cannot crack, break, or get pulled loose and spill gas.

Make sure that you cannot get burned with hot water, and that you will have positive control of the water no matter what happens.

In all cases, make sure you control the engine and that it cannot get out of control in any way.

I would make sure that there is a thermostat installed in the engine. Cooling it too quickly can crack the block.
      Last edited by RadioRoy; 01-15-2013, 08:47 PM.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I made almost the same thing with my OHV 6, except that I kept the full cooling sytem for the tests. I would advise you to use the plug on the oil pump to get priming oil. Then, fully lubricate the distribution and test the oil pressure with the starter (spark plugs removed) before really firing the engine. I assume the oil pressure relief valve has been cleaned. Keep an extinguisher handy in case of. As ignition adjustements are easily made when the engine is out of the chassis, I also suggest to set the dwell angle and the ignition timing.
        Best of luck and nice day to all.
        sigpic

Comment

I don't see no stinkin pictures!!!!
          Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
          1958 Commander "Christine"
          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
          1955 Commander Sedan
          1964 Champ
          1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
            Here is one I took several days ago when we had sunshine and no rain. At this point, I had merely set the engine in place for mock-up purposes. At that time, I was planning on using a radiator, but decided to hold off on that for the initial run. Aside from the additions I mentioned above, I have added a battery tray and plan to use an appropriate "hold-down" in case a certain member of the forum happens to drop by this thread. As you can see by all the C-clamps, nothing was bolted down when this picture was taken. The engine will be secured to the stand. However, if I thought this engine might come to life with enough gusto to leap off...it might be worth leaving it free!

Heck...at this point, I don't even know if the starter is any good. I have already flushed the block with tap water. There was a plug of gunk in the lower block drain, but it blew out and ran clean in a very short time. For now...I am going "minimal" on the engine. I have merely cleaned and set the existing points, using the existing spark plugs, wires, and distributor cap. Depending on how the initial "start/run" goes...I'll assess additional efforts. If it attempts to fire, but fails...I'll do the cheap parts first, tune up components, and wires. If I see signs of something more serious like low oil pressure, water in oil, blown head gasket, serious knocks...then the entire effort changes. If it runs good, I'll probably add a radiator, connect an amp meter, build an electrical system with voltage regulator and check out the generator.

I don't see the use for doing more than needed until I determine if the engine is worth fooling with. My plan is to make this test stand adaptable for 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder engines. If we get decent enough weather, I'll try to get some updated pictures.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1176_t.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1678529
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

May be a while for the weather to get better John, rain then more rain then COLD below freezing they say so wrap up the garden hose and stay in front of the heater.
              Dave Hugo
              Duncan, SC

Comment

Some progress and a small setback

Well, yesterday and today were so great here that I have almost forgotten we went a week with no sunshine! I managed to fabricate a couple of chain hold downs that should keep the engine from walking off the stand (if it runs). Got the battery tray mounted. Fabricated a metal plate and mounted the floor type starter switch. Located a couple of heavy duty battery cables and installed them. Extended the (too short) trailer tongue and installed one of those swing away trailer jacks so that the trailer can stand on its own without having to use a dolly.

Today, I borrowed the battery from my Land Cruiser and installed it on the test stand. Just for the sake of curiosity, I decided I would see if the starter would kick in. At this point, I did not have an ignition wire going to the coil, so the engine actually starting was not going to happen. I pushed in the start button....NOTHING! That was disappointing. Time to take a break, go in the house for a sandwich, watch a little TV, check the forum, lick my wounds, and contemplate my next move.

I grabbed my voltmeter and headed back out to investigate where the 'lectricity was failing to flow. Checked the battery ground...OK...checked the start switch...OK...checked for power at the starter post...OK. Next, I removed the dust band on the starter motor. Good grief!...what a mess! I hooked my three foot long blow gun to the air hose and blew all that crud out of there. Needed the long air gun just in case the blow back covered me in the oily gunk. The next move was to use a flat blade screwdriver and push the brushes in to be sure they hadn't hung up in their spring loaded holders.

Went back to the start button...SUCCESS...well...sort of...the starter motor worked, but not the bendix. Wouldn't engage...Next move was to get my plastic dead blow hammer. I'm sure my next move would have been a comical video for some to see a 68 year old balancing on one leg while reaching around the engine with the other foot to depress the start switch and contorting his body to swing that hammer on the starter. However, after a few seconds of that awkward exercise and well placed hammer blows...SUCCESS AGAIN! The starter gear engaged and turned the engine.

I couldn't stand it any longer...I installed the old spark plugs, fabricated a jumper wire with clips on the ends and connected the coil. Sprayed a little starter fluid in the carb...hit the start switch...engine turned over....NEVER FIRED

I suppose expecting instant success from an old engine that has been sitting under an old tarp' longer than most of us who are grandpas have been grandpas, is being a teeny bit too optimistic

I checked for voltage on both sides of the coil and have that. An inline spark detector shows nothing coming from the coil, and, of course, nothing out of the distributor. NEXT...a tune-up...stay tuned. There's always next week
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The suspense is getting to me

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	run ready 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1678630Click image for larger version

Name:	run ready 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1678631
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

All right - mission accomplished!! Good job John - there was no mention of fire or explosions so I give you a hearty thumbs up!
                      Dave Hugo
                      Duncan, SC

Comment

Your post reminds me of the time I hooked my late fathers Simpson meter up to the transformer on my first houses fuel oil furnace motor.
                        Had it set wrong, and the sparks inside the meter were so pretty...for a second or two.
                        Then, after I read the stupid thing, I realized that there was a difference between 36 volts and 36,000 volts.
                        Duhhhh, Jeff

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

? Me either,
                          If it works can I borrow it?

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post

Comment

Nice story , and you didn't have to have the starter rebuilt .

Comment

Just hook that tranny up to the trailer wheels,,,

Comment

Working...
                              X