Stuck engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Stuck engine

Therehave been several posts lately about soaking cylinders to free-up stuck engines. One remady was mix of auto trans fluid and acetone. What is the ratio of the mix and wheredo our normaly find acetone.Thanks
    NEIL G.

50/50 is the mix and you can find acetone at auto parts stores, big hardware stores, home improvement stores, paint stores.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Acetone evaporates almost instantly. It is there just to thin out the ATF so it flows more easily and can get into tighter places. It might also serve to soften up tar deposits. But even mixed with ATF, it will have pretty well evaporated in a few minutes.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I thought it was to be mixed with brake fluid; not ATF. My memory fails me.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

My favorite is a 50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery Oil and Berrymans ChemTool. I have had success with this - but the question we can never answer is: Just how stuck were these engines? Maybe I was just lucky.

Comment

Some people say mix the Acetone 50/50 with ATF, some say mix it with Power steering fluid. Pick your concoction. A hot sunny day may also help.
            My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
            sigpic
            Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
            in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

If you can't find acetone, Lacquer Thinner will work. the Marvel Mystery Oil is great too. Or just spray WD40 into the spark plug holes. Like Studeous said pick your poison.
              Neil Thornton

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guys.I have 2 full flo cloverleaf engines I want to try it on.
                NEIL G.

Comment

Give it some time to work.
                  An other remedy is to use Coca Cola in the cylinders.
                  Coke has Phosphoric Acid which is an excellent de-ruster.
                  I would only use this as a last resort.
                  Robert Kapteyn

Comment

I've always been afraid to try phosphoric acid. I could be wrong but I thought it converted iron oxide to iron phospate and was the active ingredient in rust converters, naval jelly, metal prep etc which stop the rusting process but don't "dissolve" rust- leaving you an engine that is still stuck by the iron phosphate. I also don't know how the acid would affect the other metals in the engine. I would love to hear from anybody with more knowledge on the subject, I have several engines that I believe would be good if I could get them unstuck. I've had some luck running engines that had been sitting for a long time- one since 1951- but I've never had any luck with the Stude V8 in 3 tries. Hardly a scientific sample but I have been able to unstick and run early hemis, nailheads a couple of hudson engines and a champ 6, probably just luck of the draw but I wonder if some engine designs/materials are more unstuckable than others.

Comment

Working...
                    X