Gas tank venting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank venting

Should a 1961 Hawk have a vented gas cap? Mine does not and it builds up quite a vacuum by the time the tank gets low on fuel. This must make the fuel pump work harder. Or is the tank supposed to vent in another way? Thanks for any info.

Most deffinately need a vented cap. SDC vendors carry them, check the club website for them. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
    Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Are you sure your's isnt vented in and not out??? If not vented at all your car should stop running? My 55 Commander builds up pressure in the tank, but not a vacuum as the cap is vented for inlet and not outlet pressure.

Where the hills is Shingletown anyway???
      55 2 Dr. Regal Commander
      4.3L Brand Xtra engine
      700R4 and Possi Danna 44

Regards,
      Rick

Comment

To answer that question to which Rick has posted in his
        posting: "Where the hills is Shingletown?".....lets just
        say that it is east of Redding, CA. on the way to Mt. Lassen
        Park.

Sue Ellen 1964 Daytona
        glen Brose
        Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Comment

I found out for sure that Wagonaires need vented gas caps. The sedans, etc. had vents in the fill tube, at least by the '60s. A good fuel pump will continue to pull gas from the tank and create a very good vacuum if there is no vent. Here's what happens to a gas tank (mine!) when there is no vent:

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by garyash

I found out for sure that Wagonaires need vented gas caps. The sedans, etc. had vents in the fill tube, at least by the '60s. A good fuel pump will continue to pull gas from the tank and create a very good vacuum if there is no vent. Here's what happens to a gas tank (mine!) when there is no vent:

Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.
            As "Homer" would say, D'OH![:0]

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar
            </h5>

Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

Shingletown is south of State College,PA.,about five miles. It's over the hills from Readsville,PA., home of the fall meet.

Comment

Yep,
                Shingle Town is East of Redding Ca. I'm headed to Redding Sunday morning in the 63 Lark from the coast to take the daughter school shopping. Going to hit the water slides on Monday. Want to take the Lark back to the wrecking yard where I bought it there to show it off. [8D] Won't quiet make it to Shingle Town though.

Gordon

Comment

OOPS
                  Shingletown in one word. Its on state highway 44 east of Redding, Ca. That is where I found my Lark.

Gordon

Comment

There has been a thread about this on the 56Jonly group. Seems that using the wrong cap will cause the fuel to leak over the top of the tanks on 56J's when filled. Still do not understand it.

Comment

Working...
                    X