Dual Exhaust for a 283 V8 '66 Daytona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
    It's too bad Studebaker didn't use the GM 327 engines in 1966 as a replacement for the R1 to get a performance model.

Um lets see...a 350hp L-79 Thunder Thrust 327 with 4pd and TT 4.09 `66 Daytona sounds good to me....would be a fun car! ...and for added wow when lifting the hood, a 360 hp solidlifter Thunder Thrust 327 with the Rochester FI unit and those fancy-dancy cast valve covers even better. Man that would have been cool!
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Getting off topic, but a beefed powerglide behind a 327/350 could be a fun little car too.
      Originally posted by junior View Post
      Um lets see...a 350hp L-79 Thunder Thrust 327 with 4pd and TT 4.09 `66 Daytona sounds good to me....would be a fun car! ...and for added wow when lifting the hood, a 360 hp solidlifter Thunder Thrust 327 with the Rochester FI unit and those fancy-dancy cast valve covers even better. Man that would have been cool!
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
        Yup, that would be the Studebaker version of the 66 Nova SS with the same motor. Similar weight and shape, Bob's version should be killer.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
          Yup, that would be the Studebaker version of the 66 Nova SS with the same motor. Similar weight and shape, Bob's version should be killer.
          ya, that`s exactly what I was thinking about. be fun to build one, paint the engine the factory colors, and have custom valve cover stickers made up with that `Thunder Thrust` name. if only one had more time, and money, and space, and...... cheers Junior.
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
            My 66 Daytona has Hooker block hugger headers & a muffler shop 2 & 1/4" pipes (aluminized) that fit & sound good, although when they were done (by a friend who owned the shop) he didnt do the tail pipes but ended them in front of the rear axle.
            Do these headers clear the steering parts? Also , I only see these in 1 5/8" or 1 7/8" diameters

Comment

Getting off topic, but a beefed powerglide behind a 327/350 could be a fun little car too.
              Powerglide? How about a beefed up BW auto tranny since it has 3 speeds vs. the PG's two and Studebaker was already using them?
              --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Was that the BW 35? My Hamilton design group built 66 Daytona has one. The thing they forgot was that the backup light switch on the column wouldn't work, but the BW 35 is supposed to have a switch on it that can be wired .
                Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
                Powerglide? How about a beefed up BW auto tranny since it has 3 speeds vs. the PG's two and Studebaker was already using them?
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Was that the BW 35? My Hamilton design group built 66 Daytona has one. The thing they forgot was that the backup light switch on the column wouldn't work, but the BW 35 is supposed to have a switch on it that can be wired .
                  That I don't know re: backlight switch; but, the 35 was used in scads of cars in the 1960's so beefing one up may be feasible.
                  --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Since the whole thing is cosmetic anyway, use the 200 4 R as it can't be seen anyhoo. Then you get the best of both worlds. Nice low gear, great OD, and who will ever notice that the trans is shifting one extra shift??? Certainly not the guy who just had his doors blown off by a Studebaker, thats for sure.
                    sals54

Comment

I want the over drive auto for better driving at higher speeds, also at my age the 4 speed would be a work out and if I were to drag it the auto can shift faster than I can, and have been told the 200 R-4 is a better transmission and smaller.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

That's right Bob, the 200 4 R is dimensionally about the same size as the Turbo 350. The 700 is a bit larger. And good luck with the project. It looks wicked cool.
                        sals54

Comment

I agree with Bob and Sal. The Powerglide can work very well at the drag strip, but the 200-4R would be much better on the street. A slightly higher stall converter 2200-2500 would be a good choice with the L79 cam. If you get the lock up too then you have a very drivable combination and good performance.
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Just a little input.. . The 700R4 I installed is right about 50 pounds lighter than the B/W 3 speed Auto. The 200R4 might be a tad lighter than that. In stock form the 200R4 is weaker, but with $$$ can be built stronger than a stock 700R4. The 200R4 was made for fewer years and not as prevalent. The 200R4 has "better" ratios. Better is subjective, but they are more evenly spaced. The 700R4 has a large gap between 1st & 2nd gears. The 200R4 has a deeper overdrive than the 700R4 (.70 vs .67). With 3.07 gears and the like that can make a difference.

I've posted numerous time about the install http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...457#post682457 but simplified the engine bolts right up, even using the Studebaker (Chevy) flexplate. All the transmission crossmember requires is slotting the holes. It's everything after that that make job a lot more work. Most significant is altering the "Batwing."

Lastly (to maintain the title theme), I opted for a single 2-3/4" exhaust. It "seemed" simpler at the start. But I had to move the E-brake cable and the gas tank (about 1" towards the drivers side) to make it fit (lesson learned).

Tom
                            Last edited by wittsend; 01-15-2013, 01:40 PM.
                            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                            X