Running the car from battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running the car from battery

When I rewired my car with a Mopar alternator, Fifth Avenue out of Clay Center, KS. said it is best to run the car's hot feed from the battery as oppiosed from the selenoid.( Selenoid is wired from battery to selenoid by its nornal cable.) I have done this by using a marine battery post/ cable clamp. I also have a shunt ( # 8 wire ) between the pos and neg terminals on the amp meter. This shunt was suggested on the forum. Would this se up cause the amp meter needle to vibrate about 1/32 of an inch or a bit less than that?[?][?][:I]

Nate, I have a solid state regulator, epoxy / plastic materials on the case.. The alt was rebuilt and the shop said this plastic regulator would work. I am tempted to get a different regulator and give it a try. The amp meter seems to read fine. With a heavy load it indicates pos charge and on no-load it is neutral reading. I like the idea of keeping the current flow out of the ampmeter. Fifth Avenue indicates less flucation in current with the battery feed and not the selenoid feed to main harness. Car runs like a dream, tonight we went 50 miles through the country,with my wife riding shotgun.

Comment

Nate, our posts are out of order with referenct to time.

Comment

I don't think so; are you using an old points style regulator or a new solid state unit?

How is the ammeter reading with the shunt in place?

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I fail to see the need for a shunt across the ammeter, unless you are using an alternator that's capable of putting out so much charge that it will peg out the meter movement.

I know some cars, like GM, IIRC, incorporate an ammeter shunt in the wiring harness, but Studebaker put the entire charging current through the meter. A shunt won't cause or prevent the meter needle from vibrating,but it will damp the vibrations to the same extent that it reduces the absolute value of the reading.

If the ammeter needle vibrates, it means the regulator is rapidly switching from no charge to full charge and back at a high rate, instead of controlling the field current smoothly.

Be sure that your voltage regulator is properly grounded, and likewise the alternator. A #10 ground wire from the alternator case to the regulator would not hurt anything, and might help.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
          X