How to make or where to get oil flow restrictor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: How to make or where to get oil flow restrictor

I have searched for information on the oil restrictor for 1955 259 engines and have only learned that mine is way too large. I would like to know if anyone has the correct size (.040 to .060 from what I found in the search) for sale. Or ideas for making one would be helpful.

Since nobody else knows what to do, here is what I will be doing with slight modifications.
    http://www.stearman.net/index.php/oi...ine-restrictor
    Last edited by 5brown1; 01-09-2013, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
      Since nobody else knows what to do, here is what I will be doing with slight modifications.
      http://www.stearman.net/index.php/oi...ine-restrictor
      It almost looks like a carb jet could be substituted.

Comment

I did a similar thing when plumbing a 59 Flathead. The original hose broke and I plumbed it with S/S tubing.

Comment

The Studebaker number for the restrictor is 1549669. The bore should measure .045". Last I know of S.I. still had these.
          Weatherhead number 1512 is listed as a special restriction adapter but its bore is .062". There is a note in their present catalog (Eaton Weatherhead) that says other orifice sizes available on special order, but it doesn't list them. If you use the larger fitting, record oil pressure before and after installation and see if there has been a significant loss.
          I know have soldered or brazed fittings and redrilled, but that can be a frustrating process.
          AL SORAN RACING

Comment

Most real auto parts stores, like NAPA, have a display cabinet with all kinds of brass fttings for brake and gas lines. Usually, one of the bins has orifices. Here's a photo of a .060" one I got. It has a 1/8 male pipe thread on one end, a 1/8 female thread on the other. Screw the male end into the oil gallery, screw the oil line into the fitting.

Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I have made them by drilling and tapping a hole, srcrewing in a brass screw sealed with loctite or super glue to hold the screw on place. Cut off the head of the screw and drilled my own precision size restricter hole. Pretty much like the link said to do.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
              X