Rear Brake cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Rear Brake cable

I am sure this is a simple question, but I do not knwo the answer! What is the difference between the rear cable on a 63 Hawk with and without disc brakes?

Thanks

Originally posted by Transengineer View Post
    I am sure this is a simple question, but I do not knwo the answer! What is the difference between the rear cable on a 63 Hawk with and without disc brakes? Thanks
    WELCOME ...to the SDC Forum, Andre!!!

Comment

The cable length is the same. The way they fasten to the backing plate is different. The disc brake cable has spring steel fingers that expand through the backing plate hole. The standard drum brake cable has a retainer plate bolted to the backing plate that holds the cable.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The cable length is the same.

The regular cars used Lockheed brakes but because Studebaker used Bendix front calipers on the disk brake cars , they used Bendix brakes on the back.The rear brakes on disk brake cars were drums but were 11" diameter instead of the 10" drums used on non disk brake cars.
        In the later years(1941-63) Studebaker used Bendix brakes on most trucks until 1964 , when they used Lockheed brakes on the trucks.
        Some of the larger trucks used Midland brakes but most were Bendix.
        Lockheed brakes used star wheels for brake shoe adjustment and Bendix used eccentric adjusters on the backing plate.
        All disk brake cars used the eccentric adjusters(Bendix)on the rear and if you look at your parts book , you will find that a lot of the parts used on the rear of the disk brake cars , used truck part numbers. Most truck part numbers started with a 6 .
        The hand brake cables used on the disk brake cars had cylindrical ends instead of the ball shaped ends on the Lockheed brakes.
        Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Someone commented that Studebaker cars used Wagner brakes.
          Wagner is the manufacturer of the Lockheed style brakes.
          Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Working...
          X