Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Got new 63 Avanti round headlight gaskets .. WTH?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got new 63 Avanti round headlight gaskets .. WTH?!

OK .. I should have just thrown out the two headlight gaskets, the
    fuel pump rebuild kit AND the mechanical pump when I found that the
    steam seal was torn .. but instead I tried to install my new headlight
    gaskets (bad idea).

THEY ARE TOO BIG. I dont get it, its a rubber part, too small I could
    make it work - too big leaves gaps. I can not even get the stupid
    thing to stay on the lens cover. I would guess it to be about 1 to 2
    inches too long in circumference. So far, with the 4 items I have
    bought from S.I. they are batting 50/50. Exhaust gaskets & the center
    rubber bumper part fit great, fuel pump kit & headlight gaskets suck.

Any ideas how to shrink rubber??

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Make sure you are putting the lenes in the correct groove.

Studebaker On The Net
    http://stude.com
    Studebaker News Group
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
    Arnold Md.
    65 Sports Sedan(sold)
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1/AC
    63 Avanti R2/4 speed
    63 Daytona HT
    63 Lark 2 dr.
    62 Lark 2 door
    62 GT(parts car)
    60 Lark convert
    60 Hawk
    52 Starliner(sold)
    51 Commander
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Yah .. I looked at it .. doesnt seem like there is more then one, the
      backside has a bump that will fit in the recess, & there is an overlap
      that will cover the seam. The lens seems to go into the slit, so that
      the lens is surrounded on both sides. This is very frustrating after
      the fuel pump rebuild kit problem. Its not supposed to be cut is it?
      Doesnt make sense to make it molded round, and require it to be cut.

Tom
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

It won't help you now, but you should talk to your vendor about it. They should be able to explain how to do it. If it finally ends up that the part has a design defect, then they should take it back.

As a club, I really think it's time to get on the backs of those making reproductions parts that DON"T meet factory specs. We do NOT do a service to ourselves if we just take what we can get with the attitude that we should be lucky to get any parts at all. That's B.S. and just gives vendors the leeway to make slipshod products. I've been seeing that happening way too often. If someone's going to make a new part they should either do it right or not at all. And for those that want to buy American, I bet a lot of these parts are actually made in China for vendors here. Keep that in mind. IF they are being made here, then it doesn't say much about American quality, either. Either way, if a part is definitely not right, make sure the vendor knows about it.

In a lot of clubs, it is the club itself that initiates remaking parts. Maybe it's a cumbersome way to do it, but at least then if there's an issue of quality you know maybe why.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Tom, I think your luck is overdue to change for the better!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Tom,

Please keep us posted as to what the vendor says/does as I am about to order two sets for both my Avanti's. Bob over at Avanti Parts & Resto used to carry them but his website is down. Still sells some items on EBAY tho. Measured my old split gasket and it's 29 3/4" circumference, the other one is still in one continuous circle.

Comment

I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with the comments about vendors and manufacturers noted above. I'd like to mention IN PRINT (right here) the vendors I've had good luck with. But since I've purchased from a wide variety of sources those that I would exclude would automatically contemplate calling their attorney (I exaggerate for effect, but only slightly I suspect). SOME of the biggest vendors of STUDE parts have left me DEAD COLD as far as my repeat business is concerned. And by inference some of the smallest have been the nicest people with the best parts--and the kindest to work with! And then there is the question of a warranty against defects....be careful now the attorneys (what would we do without them?) may be looking. And has anyone else questioned a potential conflict of interest?

wagone

Comment

Now a lot of people won't like it, but there needs to be in TW or elsewhere notices about known fit and finish issues with reproduction parts. I've brought this up before and I can tell you three right off the bat:

1. Reproduction Strato-Vue mirrors: defect: won't adjust properly to be useful using the original mounting holes.

2 Reproduction GT hawk birds: defect: cast, not stamped, mounting pins too big and tapered not allowing direct replacement of OEM part.

3. Reproduction GT hawk front fender spears: defect: blunt tip, not matching OEM design. Faulty design of rear portion where it shoulds mate INSIDE the next fender trim piece, but design does NOT allow that fit and forces a basically butt-end connection with the next trim piece, thus allowing the part that's supposed to be hidden to remain seen. This is true on 1962 hawks, but may be different on 1963 and 1964 models.

Sorry I veered off topic a bit Tom. But you should know that you're not alone when buying "reproduction" parts that don't work like the OEM part.

Some parts I have been happy with are the replacement seat belts, GT hawk tail-light lenses and hawk license plate lamp lens.
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I will take pictures and post them this weekend. I dont mind going
                  off topic a little. Dont want to turn this into a bashfest either. I
                  just want my headlight gaskets to fit. Karl (Twin) said that they do
                  need to be cut and reglued, I have a problem with that, the sun will
                  cause the glue point to break in short order, and then I will have
                  the - fogging lens problem I am trying to solve - all over again! I am
                  going to contact S.I. by email with pictures of the torn seal, & the
                  headlight gasket seal this weekend, I will keep you all posted.

Tom

Comment

Here is how well they fit - or dont fit :

Front :

Backside :

Tom

Comment

Gee, your lenses must be too small.

Comment

Well .. dagnabbit!! Yer right! I need duh bigger ones!

Tom

Comment

Looks like the gaskets are on steroids![8D]Tom this bad luck trend of yours has got to be coming to an end

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

HNCadet, and others ..

S.I. replied back today in regards to the fuel pump kit (posted update
                            on the other thread) and the headlight gaskets. He said that they are
                            designed for the GLASS headlight covers, and not the PLASTIC covers
                            that I have. I didnt even realize there WAS glass ones available. I
                            guess I remember now that my dads square headlight Avanti has glass
                            lenses. Its been a while. I still dont understand though, since it
                            wouldnt matter because the size is the same (or should be). Anyone
                            have the glass lens that can measure its thickness, and diameter? I'm
                            thinking that it REALLY shouldnt matter??!! I got the gasket to fit
                            on the lens if I dont push it on all the way, but it wont sit flush
                            on the car, and the four slots show inside the rubber. Ick.[xx(]

He said that they SHOULD work on the plastic anyway, but if they dont,
                            its all they have, and I am welcome to return them.[V]

Tom

Comment

I didn't REALLY think I was right about your lenses being too small. That's just wierd.

Umm, do you think you missed the small print their catalog?

Comment

Working...
                              X