Avanti Instrument Bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Instrument Bulbs

Avanti's used 57R bulbs for instrument lighting. Some other 63 & 64 models had them as options.

A lamp set can still be obtained from various Studebaker vendors. In addition, the standard 57 bulbs or suitable replacements: 1816 or 1895, may be used and stained or painted red.

I have elected to "upgrade" to an led bulb (in red) that is made to replace those bulbs. This new-fangled bulb uses less power (think less load on system) and has an average use cycle of 100,000 hours.

I'll post with an update in a few days, after receipt and installation.

Well the stock #57TR transparent red bulbs cost $1.00 each and last ten years or more. So your conversion costs how much and to what advantage?

1/2 Amp per half dozen, less current draw?

Don't get me wrong LED's have their place in certain applications, like replacing tail light bulbs that melt the lense, like a '58 President with the chrome trim on the lense! I just don't think this is a good use for a very expensive setup, to no advantage!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Point taken. I don't know how long a 57TR lasts, but my car was only operated from 63 to 67 and 5 of the eight bulbs didn't last. And the ones that did were swapped out for clear at some point.

My reason for switching is that the cooler bulb would be less traumatic to the old instruments. And that #57 bulbs may not be to easy to come by in another 10 years ...

But, then again, I have a tankless hot water heater in my home, so I never run out of hot water, have extra space in my laundry room, and my utilities bill has been $35 lower per month for the last 7 years ...

It more than covers the lamp upgrade.

Comment

Well, you are certainly an "energy saving" kind-a guy! I thought it was funny about the water heater saving paying for the LED's!

I guess that's all good, but I'll tell you what killed my red bulbs in some of my '64 Daytonas. It was too high voltage from those lousy mechanical voltage regulators with sticking points!

I noticed a BIG improvement in light bulbs, fan motor, wiper motor, battery and alternator life when I switched to ELECTRONIC regulators, and it stopped the annoying power surges, flickering lights and Ampmeter needle bounce as well!

Of course on Avantis they use the 40 AMP Prestolite alternator and a 3 point set, large regulator. AND IF if it is a Premium, OEM, USA made, high quality one, may not be as big a prob. I do not believe that we have found a time tested alternative, electronic regulator for those yet!

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich

Comment

My 64 cruiser came with red bulbs. When a couple of them burned out I replaced them with regular bulbs. Big mistake. There was a reason for the red bulbs that I never even thought of. Its the glare off the inside of the windshield. The standard bulbs reflection off the inside of the windshield in total darkness is almost blinding. On my way to South Bend in 02 we drove straight through non stop. In the middle of the night, and the middle of no where. The dash lights were blinding, even on low. Couldn't shut them off because we were running the Cruiser so hard. As for the hot water heater. When the power goes out for a few days in the winter. I can still shower & cook with natural gas. Well worth the little extra money.

Gordon

Comment

They have tankless gas hot water heaters also. They ahve their own ignition. Folks that live in the mountains use them too.

As to the red lights, the reason that the Avanti had red lighting was the whole aviation theme. Fighter aircraft had red instrument lighting for night vision.

Our eyes contain sensors: rods (night) and cones (daylight) . One works better in daylight and one at night. The red works better for the night.

Anyway, these little lamps are $5 each and will last for a looong time.

And I will also be looking into an electronic regulator. Got a part number?

Comment

Wow! did I ramble on that much that you missed one of the key points?

As I said, as far as I know they do NOT exist for Avantis. Only for the 35 AMP Prestolite setup in the the Lark/Hawk. The Jet Thrust engines however do run the Avanti 40 AMP alternator with the standard 35 AMP regulator, want to experiment and do a smoke test? You might have to cap an extra wire or two in an Avanti also.

quote:Originally posted by fmarshall

I will also be looking into an electronic regulator. Got a part number?
              StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Wow! did I ramble on that much that you missed one of the key points?

As I said, as far as I know they do NOT exist for Avantis. Only for the 35 AMP Prestolite setup in the the Lark/Hawk. The Jet Thrust engines however do run the Avanti 40 AMP alternator with the standard 35 AMP regulator, want to experiment and do a smoke test? You might have to cap an extra wire or two in an Avanti also.

I will also be looking into an electronic regulator. Got a part number?
                StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                You weren't rambling. I was just breathin' too much of that carbon monoxide while I was getting the timing right ... and missed that last point.

Smoke test? I make be up for that. But I don't have any ampmeter bounce yet ...

Comment

Dunno if Avanti ever came with a 45 amp Motorola alternator. That was the fleet taxi/police setup for the other Studebakers(course it could be ordered knowing Studebaker). I have one of these bad boys from Karkiewicz, the alternator, electronic regulator, installation guide, photos, etc. Good luck finding the whole caboodle, they are pretty rare as I haven't seen anything like it since. But if you wanna throw the judges into a fit, put one of those critters on. Just make sure you have your literature in tow though. Plus, after the many 35 and 40 amp alternator rebuilds, I really haven't had a problem with this since I got it. I think the big consenus is that Honda alternator can be dropped in place of the 35 and 40 amp guys.

As for the LED's, since they have no vaccuum chamber and incandescent filament, they won't blow. They will burn out as they are a type of diode, though from too much current so choose the red LED's that are to the specification you're looking for on the car. I dunno with the case of automobiles but the model trains ask for a current limiting resistor before the LED. The LED's are also all over the place and can be had for quite cheaply. Yeah, and they should last a good while, and no mismatching of different colors of LED's in the instrument panel.

The Commander has those red bulbs of course. Gives that great aircraft theme, and that red glow reacts pretty well to that prismatic green background all over the back of the gauges. Makes the needle and circular areas in the gauges easier to read at night.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                  1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                  [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                  [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                  [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                  [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                  1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                  1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                  1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                  1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

...Of course on Avantis they use the 40 AMP Prestolite alternator and a 3 point set, large regulator. AND IF if it is a Premium, OEM, USA made, high quality one, may not be as big a prob. I do not believe that we have found a time tested alternative, electronic regulator for those yet!
                    I had an electronic regulator on my '64 Avanti. I believe Dave T-Bow has been selling them for a number of years. Mine was installed in the original Prestolite shell and, like you say, no flickering ammeter and other annoyances.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
                    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                    Museum R-4 engine
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Avanti's used 57R bulbs for instrument lighting. Some other 63 & 64 models had them as options.
                      A lamp set can still be obtained from various Studebaker vendors. In addition, the standard 57 bulbs or suitable replacements: 1816 or 1895, may be used and stained or painted red.
                      I have elected to "upgrade" to an led bulb (in red) that is made to replace those bulbs. This new-fangled bulb uses less power (think less load on system) and has an average use cycle of 100,000 hours.
                      I'll post with an update in a few days, after receipt and installation.
                      I thought one problem with LEDs was that they are very directional with very limited side illumination. That might not make for good illumination of the entire cluster in which installed.
                      BTW- I'm pretty sure red instruments lights were standard in all '64s and probably '63s (my '64 Daytona Wagonaire had/has them). I liked the reds so well that I dyed the bulbs in my '53 Commander too.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
                      '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                      '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                      Museum R-4 engine
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I'll be interested to learn how you like the LED bulbs in your Avanti. On my 63, the instrument lights are basically useless when driving in a metro area with lots of ambient light. I need to make sure there are good grounds with the current setup before making changes. ISTR from surfing around that the OEM bulbs are one candlepower, and some two CP versions were available.

Chris Collins
                        63 Avanti R-2
                        66 Cruiser

Comment

I replaced all the bulbs on my classic McIntosh gear with LED's...that is a job I will never do again...and is the reason all new McIntosh comes with led's as standard equip.......Ahh, yes I'll put this one on........."Could this be magic......The Dubs........"[8D]

Well the stock #57TR transparent red bulbs cost $1.00 each and last ten years or more. So your conversion costs how much and to what advantage?

1/2 Amp per half dozen, less current draw?

Don't get me wrong LED's have their place in certain applications, like replacing tail light bulbs that melt the lense, like a '58 President with the chrome trim on the lense! I just don't think this is a good use for a very expensive setup, to no advantage!

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA

Comment

The standard LED lamps will NOT be a suitable replacement for instrument lights on an Avanti. The reason is that the LED lamps project light forward, rather than to the side. And as such, light doesn't make it to the front dial of the instrument. Result: No lighting!!

So, painted/dyed red #57 bulbs are the lamp of choice - at least for now.

Comment

You can buy a solid state chip for electronic conversion of the bigger Avanti alternator.

" Newer info on above - Transpo P8-404A 14.2V Adjustable or NAPA part No. ECHVR1006 @ $61.99 (Nov 07).
                              The Prestolite ALE replacement unit is Transpo P8-352A 14.2V Adjustable or NAPA VR1006.

WELLS (Autozone) VR706 is available, an exact bolt up and fits in the Prestolite can and has a lifetime warranty (Nov 07)
                              NAPA crosses the VR706, over to 3 others"

JDP/Maryland
                              64 R2 GT (Sid)
                              spent to date $62,839.60
                              63 Daytona HT/4 speed
                              63 Lark 2 door
                              57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X