Full Flow into a 53?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Flow into a 53?

What is involved in putting a full flow engine into a 53? bellhousing change? Trans change? New mounts? It currently has the 3 on the tree and we want to stay with that.

I'd wanna put new mount biscuits on the front, just because. But other'n that, and maybe a new routing of the fuel line if you're gonna accomodate the later engine's fuel pump (which is a good idea anyway), it should bolt right up like it belongs there!

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That would depend on a lot of things you have not said.

(1) Do you have a original dialed-in std. trans. bellhousing with the late model '62-'64 engine? That will give you many things you need EXCEPT, the bolt pattern is wrong for a '53 T-86 Overdrive Tranny.

(2) Is it a V-8?

(3) You will need a late model '58-'64 T-86-E 3 speed Overdrive Tranny with long tail, if so the driveshaft center support in the frame needs to be opened up or cut and a one piece driveshaft located.

(4) Is it a C or K model?

Just a few thoughts to get you started, of course there's more, but it's straightforward stuff many have done it and it's easy. A couple of Studebaker Chassis Parts catalogs tell you what is different and what is not between '53 and '63.

Even the right exhaust head pipe needs to be changed to clear the oil filter, just little stuff. You need larger pipes anyway, '55 and up are 2 in. to the muffler and 1 3/4 tailpipe and you could go to 2 1/4" and 2 in. or 2 1/4" tail.

You will want to install all 12 volt electrics in the the car to match the new fine toothed larger flywheel 12 volt starter and a larger clutch disc and pressure plate to match it.

In other words a Hawk parts car with manual trans would be a BIG help here!

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Actually a '55 pass. side exhaust pipe will clear the full flow filter but the main exhaust pipe will not clear the late Flightomatic with the dipstick tube under the hood.

Just curious, why couldn't he just dial in the original bellhousing to the new engine and keep his original flywheel, starter and tranny? is there a good reason for swapping to the long tail? that seems to be opening up a whole 'nother can of worms.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Nate; there is one very good reason why I changed my entire setup to late model.

The little 232 had a wimpy little flywheel and clutch not even strong enough for a four barrel carb. and a few hop ups like dual exhausts! Sooooo, you install a full-flow which is going to be a 259 or 289, maybe a Edelbrock AFB clone and duals etc. and what do you have 105 more ponies? You need the 10 1/2 inch clutch and larger bellhousing! Simple as that!

I am not real sure about the late model tranny not bolting up however, I have had some '56's housings that would not take the late wider pattern on the (2) lower bolts (Ford) pattern long tail tranny and some that would! Maybe they were for the sometimes used in 56B & H T-85 Heavy Duty trans.

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich

Comment

I guess my real question was why not stick with a short tail T-86. Having gone through this mess on my '55 and still not 100% certain that I a) have it set up right and b) won't end up hammering my floor anyway I can say that if I still had the center crossmember I would have kept the 2-piece shaft (someone before me had cut it out however.)

There's no way to put a decent clutch on a 6V flywheel? I dunno, I never tried.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            --
            55 Commander Starlight

Comment

On the short tail tranny, YES, if it will fit go for it, if you read what I said, some bellhousings are questionable and I believe his bell needs to be changed B/C of the small flywheel & clutch.

I know you can't put the big clutch on the little flywheel or in the little housing, but I guess you could have a 3000LB. pressure plate built for it!

quote:Originally posted by N8N

There's no way to put a decent clutch on a 6V flywheel? I dunno, I never tried.
              StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich

Comment

Hi Guys; I thought I read here some time ago that one must retain the "53 oil pan in this type of conversion? Some sort of clearance problem with the newer pan? Jim King Redding, Ca
                \'47 M-15, \'53 Commander, \'31 Ford, \'69 Javelyn

Comment

Just have a second here. The story is that in the first two years of the car's life the original champ 6 was replaced by the dealer with a v8. Yes I confirmed it was a stude v8 by compareing it to my all original 52 Landcruiser's v8. The owner since 1957, wants the full flow stude v8 plus some other minor up dates that I can handle( new interior stuff, a correct side view mirror, 12 volt conversion,hidden radio/cd player). I have not dealt with engines since trade school back in the mid 90's. I have the basics down, but All the Studebaker stuff is from memories as a kid (Dad's free labor source. I am helping the owner with this car out of respect for him, his family and the Studebaker history. I am VERY thankful for all of input you all have given. Thanks to your previous input I was able to squash the idea of transplanting the car onto a brand x chassis! More later, gotta go.

Comment

Oh, well if he WANTS a 12V conversion, and doesn't care about keeping the stock radio, you can just follow Rich's advice and use the later bellhousing, flywheel, and clutch. I'd still try to use a short tail trans and retain the original driveshaft if possible, but I am not familiar with what works and what doesn't in terms of bellhousing bolt patterns. You'll need the starter from the FF engine as well (not so much because it's 12V, but like VW's the 6V and 12V flavors don't directly interchange - the ring gears and starter gears are different.)

If you're keeping the OD trans, you will need 12V versions of the electric components (relay and solenoid)

There's a bulb chart on my web site, and you can use defrost/heater/wiper motors from a 56-up Hawk, they bolt right in.

A possible "upgrade" would be a diaphragm type clutch; however I can't offer specific advice here. I tried to use one on my '55 but even after modifying my bellhousing I couldn't get it to fit, and I was in too much of a hurry to locate a different PP that might or might not work, I just went with the Chevy 409 Borg and Beck PP (same as R1 Stude PP) The advantage of a diaphragm is a lighter pedal feel for the same clamping force.

good luck,

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

I dropped a 289 with a flight o matic (short tailshaft) in my 52 ragtop, I also left it 6 volt + ground. I used the 52 style motor mounts, the FOM mounts on the bell housing, had to shorten the drive shaft 2: (or there about) Other then a late model AFB on it, and the fuel pump in the wrong location (low on the block) It looks like it was made for it.
                      I did dial in the bell housing and block, the biggest PITA was the starter, the 6 volt starter drive is a different # of teeth then a 12 volt. The good part is, the 6 volt armature shaft is bigger the the 12 volt, so I had the shaft turned down, and installed the 12 volt starter drive on it. Other then the "custom" starter, and drive shaft, it was a bolt in transplant.

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

The 58 up pan is 1" deeper but shorter than the 51-54, so with the filter it all balances out capacity wise. If you have a car that is lowered in front you could run into problems, but otherwise don't sweat it.

Comment

Working...
                        X