Ammeter Vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammeter Vibration

The ammeter in my 64 GT never stops vibrating. While it usually stays on the plus side, it is constantly vibrating very fast between the marks that would indicate 5 and 15. On a previous GT I remember the needle settling down quietly just above the 0 mark and below the first mark on the positive side. Could this mean there's something wrong with the voltage regulator?

Probably the regulator, a $12.00 unit from a 60's Mopar or $30 or so for a solid state version.

JDP/Maryland
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    64 GT R2
    63 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks. Which vendors carry the solid state regulator?

Comment

I can only speak for myself because some do and some do not stock the electronic one. I do have them for $18.00.

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Check the local Auto Zone for a Wells VR706. IIRC, they are less than $15.

Jim Bradley
          '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
          Jim Bradley
          Lake Monticello, VA
          '78 Avanti II
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks a lot Jim, try getting an outer "A" arm pin and bushing kit, a pair of Disc. brake rear wheel cylinders, a new finned brake drum or a set of R1 pistons at your Auto Zone or when we are all gone because no one supports the Studebaker Vendors! All to save $3.00!

For your information, we are talking apples and oranges, because I believe those replacement Wells units are not the same, they are epoxy black potted boxes and Stude. Vendors have the ones exactly like the original that can have the shallow covers replaced with the original Prestolite cover or generic mechanical one with a Prestolite decal to be totally stock looking! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by Rerun

Check the local Auto Zone for a Wells VR706. IIRC, they are less than $15.
            StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Huh.........$18-$30 for a solid state regulator. So that's why my Avanti is so expensive--I paid that plus a $100 bill for mine. I'm beginning to think Avantis are just like Corvettes (unless you go to sell one that is) in that everything is two to four times what a part for a "normal" car costs. By the way, after installing my $130 regulator the ammeter needle still likes to do a little dance for me................at my age that's all the excitment I get......so I don't complain!

wagone and the Old R2 Avanti.

Comment

I get some vibtation of the amp needle, alternator was rebuilt, a Mopar 50 amp alternator. The shop that did the alt rebuild sold me a black plastic epoxy filled voltage regulator. Could the vibration be caused by a poor ground? I will check that next next. I do think it is well grounded, but who knows. Home from vacation early, BP went toooooo high. Seems wnl now.

Comment

Working...
                X