rear fender spears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: rear fender spears

can anyone tell me how the rear fender spears are fastened on a 1955 champion. Would like to know if they are screwed on from underneath or have some type of body clip. I would like to take them off to clean up some rust underneath of them and don't want to damage them.

Thanks,
    Lee
    1955 champion under restoration

There is a clip that holds the inside and outside edge to the fender. I'm not sure how many there are, maybe six or seven on each side.
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

I am sure many here have a better idea than I do. Here's mine. First be sure to pry from inside out (trunk side) Put two layers of masking tape down right beside the trim. Pry up. I use a teflon coated pry bar simular to a nail bar. Start about 2 inches from one end and move toward the other. Works for me.

Comment

That is correct except that the prying is done from the outside ( fender side).
        If you try from the trunk side you will bend the stainless.
        Last edited by Lark Parker; 12-12-2012, 04:04 PM. Reason: I like to edit.ingg
        sigpic
        Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Lark Parker is right. I have mine removed at the moment. You can see that the clips are tapered and rounded on the outside, while they are squared on the inside.
          I pull them to the outside while prying and they tend to come up much easier.
          sals54

Comment

Right yall are--oops. Stated the wrong side. Sal explained the clips.

Comment

Working...
            X