Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BW Overdrive transmissions...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Transmission / Overdrive: BW Overdrive transmissions...

    Somewhere in the last 24 hours I found this link... if it was here I apologize for not giving credit where due.

    I found it quite informative as to function, service and applications of the Stude OD Transmission. Among other things it reminded my of Dad's admonition to always put the car in reverse when parked.

    http://www.fordification.com/tech/overdrive.htm

  • #2
    Cool Article. I always wondered if the volvo overdrive units were the same as the ones used here.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

    Comment


    • #3
      Volvos use a Laycock de Normanville overdrive, and it is electric over hydraulic. It does have planetary gears like the BW, but they are shifted by a hydraulic piston driven by a tiny oil pump in the transmission. No parts in common at all.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by gordr View Post
        Volvos use a Laycock de Normanville overdrive, and it is electric over hydraulic. It does have planetary gears like the BW, but they are shifted by a hydraulic piston driven by a tiny oil pump in the transmission. No parts in common at all.
        Right-o, Gordon, as did the few 1975-1976 AMC cars with manual overdrive.

        I ordered one in my new 1975 AMC Pacer and it was real neat. You didn't have to let up on the gas or anything; it was kind of magic. You'd just be driving along in straight third and push in the little overdrive button and the engine speed would slow down in overdrive without having taken your foot off the gas.Cool. BP

        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

        G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Really good article. I wonder if a permanent link could be made. Should be a must read for any first time OD driver.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

          40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

          * Formerly owned

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the link to the overdrive article!

            A good reference reading.

            Comment


            • #7
              I always assumed if they used a borg warner automatic transmission the OD would be borg too. Thanks for the info!

              Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Right-o, Gordon, as did the few 1975-1976 AMC cars with manual overdrive.

              I ordered one in my new 1975 AMC Pacer and it was real neat. You didn't have to let up on the gas or anything; it was kind of magic. You'd just be driving along in straight third and push in the little overdrive button and the engine speed would slow down in overdrive without having taken your foot off the gas.Cool. BP

              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

              Comment


              • #8
                A very good article for the first time Overdrive owner.

                They make a somewhat common error though:

                Manufacturers who focused their marketing toward operating economy were all heavy promoters of the B-W overdrive. Studebaker probably made more OD-equipped vehicles than anybody. Other AMC marques (Hudson, Rambler, Nash) were also big users.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

                Comment


                • #9
                  You don't mean to say Studebaker was a part of AMC do you?

                  Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  A very good article for the first time Overdrive owner.

                  They make a somewhat common error though:

                  Manufacturers who focused their marketing toward operating economy were all heavy promoters of the B-W overdrive. Studebaker probably made more OD-equipped vehicles than anybody. Other AMC marques (Hudson, Rambler, Nash) were also big users.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well if AMC didn't make Studebaker, who did?
                    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

                    40 Champion 4 door*
                    50 Champion 2 door*
                    53 Commander K Auto*
                    53 Commander K overdrive*
                    55 President Speedster
                    62 GT 4Speed*
                    63 Avanti R1*
                    64 Champ 1/2 ton

                    * Formerly owned

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                      You don't mean to say Studebaker was a part of AMC do you?
                      You did READ this, right?

                      "They make a somewhat common error though:"
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X