Moog CC665 on an Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Moog CC665 on an Avanti

There has been a lot of discussion about the Moog CC665 springs on the front end of Hawks. Does anyone have experience with them on an Avanti.

I will need a new set for the 74 Avanti and at the current price they are an excellent buy.

Bob

Bob, what is the application of that spring? When I did my brothers 63, I used rear springs from I believe a 78 Buick lesabre. I can check them out for sure if you'd like, as my memory isn't recalling the exact application I used. They really worked well though! Bill

Comment

Originally posted by bill van alstyne View Post
      Bob, what is the application of that spring? When I did my brothers 63, I used rear springs from I believe a 78 Buick lesabre. I can check them out for sure if you'd like, as my memory isn't recalling the exact application I used. They really worked well though! Bill
      Bill

The exchange shows 93-97 Buick Century but I'm sure there are more. I would really appreciate any info you have as I can then torch the front ones off the 74. The engine is out and I don't want to deal with a spring compressor but I want to redo the suspension components in the heated part of the pole barn.

If they drop the front a bit that would be fine.

Thanks again, Bob

Comment

try a forum search of Moog CC665.
        Paul TK

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Keller View Post
          try a forum search of Moog CC665.
          Paul TK
          Paul

I always do before I ask. Here's what I got. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...archid=1062691

That's why I asked.

Bob

Comment

Bob, I'll check it out this evening and get back to you most likely tomorrow. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
              Paul

I always do before I ask. Here's what I got. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...archid=1062691

That's why I asked.

Bob
              Hi Bob,
              You are using the wrong part number. It is CC655 versus CC665.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                Hi Bob,
                You are using the wrong part number. It is CC655 versus CC665.
                Thanks Joe

CRS strikes again, That explains a lot.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bill van alstyne View Post
                  Bob, I'll check it out this evening and get back to you most likely tomorrow. Bill
                  Thanks Bill, that is much appreciated.

Bob

Comment

Found this on a Google search (below - and link to the right). http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/com...au_pf_dp_chart Shows all the applications for the Moog CC655.

BTW the last of the Lark types (65-66)..., with the Chevrolet engines..., did they have a different spring rate? I heard the Chevy engine is quite a bit lighter than the Studebaker engine.

Compatibility Chart Moog CC655 Spring

Make Model Year Engine Drive Type Position Notes
                    Buick LeSabre 1986 3.8L V6 Rear Rear Variable Rate SpringsSET - - COUPE - SEDAN
                    Buick LeSabre 1987, 1988 Front-Wheel Drive Rear Rear Variable Rate SpringsSET - - COUPE - SEDAN
                    Cadillac 60 Special 1993 Rear Rear Variable Rate SpringsSET
                    Cadillac Fleetwood 1991, 1992 Rear Rear Variable Rate Springs4DR SEDAN
                    Cadillac Fleetwood 1993 Rear Rear Variable Rate SpringsSET - - 4 DR
                    Oldsmobile 98 1986 Rear Rear Variable Rate SpringsSET - 3 ENG CODE
                    Oldsmobile Delta 88 1986 3.8L V6 Rear Rear Variable Rate SpringsSET - 3 ENG CODE
                    Oldsmobile Delta 88 1986, 1987, 1988 Rear Rear Variable Rate Springs
                    Oldsmobile Delta 88 1987, 1988 Rear Rear Variable Rate SpringsSET
                    Pontiac Bonneville 1987, 1988 Rear Rear Variable Rate Springs
                    Pontiac Bonneville 1989 Rear Rear Variable Rate SpringsSSE
                    Pontiac Bonneville 1989, 1990 Rear Rear Variable Rate SpringsSET - SSE
                    Pontiac Bonneville 1990 Rear Rear Variable Rate Springs4DR SEDAN SSE

Tom
                    Last edited by wittsend; 12-12-2012, 05:14 PM.
                    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Bob,
                      I put them on my Avanti last year. I also rebuilt ALL of the front suspension, including new Derlin bushings. That said, my car drives a LOT better than before, the 50 year old grease is gone, and I used a synthetic grease along with the O rings in place of the cork gasket. My car "hugs" the road (in my opinion) as I do not have power steering.

Go for it!

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

OK Bob, I got the info from my brother. As stated above the Moog # is CC-655, and it was used as also stated above. When i put the car together I also rebuilt everything in the front end (along with everything on the car), and used these springs. I got them from NAPA, which # is 277-5271. Same exact spring, so no worries about different rates etc. At first the car sat higher in the front, but after about a year (very little driving in that time) they settled in and sit just about perfect now.The car rides excellently, handles very well, and is a blast to drive. Hopes this helps you out my friend, Bill.

Comment

Bill

Thanks for taking the time to find the data. Between your's and Jim's advice, I'll order a set of CC655!! coil springs or equivalent. That will let me remove the old corroded springs with the engine and tranny out. I just don't like using spring compressors under an Avanti. I'll now rebuild the front suspension in the warm part of the pole barn.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                          X