Lark Door Adjustments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Lark Door Adjustments

On my 61 Lark four door, the front driver's door does not close right. It is similiar to a sagging door. However I can't see the sag, the hinges are tight (but a little squeeky), and not broken. I see the top of the striker plate has wear on it. So, how would I adjust this door? The other doors are ok). Thanks.
    David G. Nittler

The hinge-to-door screws screw into threaded plates inside the door that float inside a cage. Remove the door panel, loosen the screws and gently jack up the back end of the door with a floor jack pushing on a piece of 2x4. It's usually a good idea to remove the striker plate on the B pillar and adjust the door to fit correctly without it. When it looks close, slightly tighten a couple of the screws to hold the door temporarily, remove the jack, and check fit. Adjust with jack as necessary. After getting a good fit, tighten the hinge screws, check fit, and only then replace the striker plate. It also can be adjusted.

The hinge to A-pillar screws cannot be adjusted.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

The possiblity may be a sagging "A" pillar being that Studebaker did not build a bracket that extended from the "batwing" crossmember mount to the bottom of the "A" pillar. Rust may also be there & would contribute to the door "sag". I would check for any moderate to heavy rust in the floor first, then if it appears solid, remove the bolt on the "batwing" crossmember & insert another rubber shim. Check afterwards the door opening on the rocker panel is even. Studebaker hinges are overbuilt & 4 door shells usually dont flex or sag enough to cause misalignment through the years unlike the longer (and heavier) C/K doors.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

AMEN to Comment #3 !!

The Champ has even less cab support than it's 4 door Lark sister. The entire front cab is solely supported by a wing under the floor board.... doesn't even go to the A pillar. A weakened, bulging or missing floor board will sag the door. Start here for your solution and don't even mess with the hinges.

The hinges a misguided assumption, not the problem or the solution to the problem. Adjust the hinges and you will get to do it again and again!

Comment

Please scroll down and read the thread titled: Door hinge phillips screws-alternatives to adjust door. Quite a lot of info and ideas in that thread,on the same problem you have. If your door looks aligned OK when it is closed,it's because the striker is holding it up into alignment. Open the door just slightly,and you will probably see it drop when it comes off the striker.
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Where is the thread? Thanks
            David G. Nittler

Comment

Originally posted by drnittler View Post
              Where is the thread? Thanks
              Here it is.....
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...to-adjust-door

Comment

tips: when removing the striker plate(s) (and just maybe you can get by with lowering the striker Dr. N)....use some compound to "grab" the phillips head screw. Make sure to clean and lightly oil them before install. Most of our cars have some buggering up of the screws and if you're very unlucky, someone has ruined 1 or 2 of them and make for real bear removal......I always save the strikers (especially the left side on 4 drs) and the scews from parting cars for this very reason......comes in handy. Tom K. from the bus has many screw kits packaged for you with a phone call if your short....in a pinch I have filed Phillips head screws down flat for short term effects til good replacements are found

Comment

Thanks for the help
                  David G. Nittler

Comment

Working...
                  X