electronic gas guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electronic gas guage

I've read previous threads about 6v to 12v gas guage issues but I am wondering if there has been any conversions of original guages to some sort of electronic type that would seem to solve voltage and accuracy issues?

I really don't think so, Mike. I've certainly never seen any suchlike advertised.

I have worked with ultrasonic fluid level sensors which could be programmed to deliver an analog signal in the 4-20 mA range, but I think that a shallow flat tank like most cars have would seriously compromise their accuracy, if they could be made to work at all.

I really don't believe the auto manufacturers, or the aftermarket, for that matter, feel there is much demand for this.

Here's an approach that probably could be made to work: mount your tank with a 3-point mounting arrangement (as some Stude tanks are) so that two points form a hinge line. The third mounting point could incorporate an electronic strain gage which would continually sense the weight of the tank. You'd simply have to establish two calibration points, full and empty, the response between would be linear, unless you had a really odd-shaped tank.

You'd have to incorporate a circuit to filter out short-period weight changes due to bumps in the road, I expect averaging over a 5-second time window would accomplish that.

I expect Jeff_H could shed light on this idea, as it fits right in to what he does in his working career

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
    X