Locking Gas Cap removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Locking Gas Cap removal

I have a 1964 Cruiser with locking gas cap. I have the key and it turns, but it will not release it just spins completely around. I believe they have 2 tabs that are suppose to retracted so the cap can come off. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the cap off?

You can pry it off... but you'll have to replace the filler pipe once you've done that

Or you could drill out the keylock, which would release the outward spring pressure on the locking wedges once removed. But again you must be careful not to drill all the way through, lest you drop metal shavings into the tank Either way, there's going to be a bit of angst involved.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

One easy way would be to use a torch and just cut it off.

Mike

Comment

NO, DO NOT USE A TORCH...!
        Just playen..to an "obvious" wrong comment....

Mike

Comment

I had this happen to me soon after I bought a new locking gas cap, I lost the keys. I used a pair of side cutters to cut the metal shroud around the cap and then used a scribe to push in the locking tangs and pulled it off. Neal

Comment

Ask someone who steals gas...he'll probably have it off in 30 seconds! (I have removed locking gas caps from used Studebakers I have bought in the past. A little work deforming the cap with channel lock pliers will get it off without harming the filler pipe.)

Comment

Originally posted by txthundar View Post
              I have a 1964 Cruiser with locking gas cap. I have the key and it turns, but it will not release it just spins completely around. I believe they have 2 tabs that are suppose to retracted so the cap can come off. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the cap off?
              Years ago I had the same problem with a locking cap on a '47 Commander. Old Car Fart (bless his memory) told me to take a dent puller, screw it in to the key slot then pop it. I was dubious, but tried it and it worked like a charm- no damage to the filler pipe.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Best to undue the clamp of the hose to filler tube and disconnect the vent tube. Remove the filler tube from the back of the car, and work on it on the bench. Stuff a rag in the hose if you are working in a garage.

Comment

use a pair of water pump pliers and squeeze the gas cap togeather it well twist rite off done it a lot

Comment

I have a universal gas cap key that came with a lock-out set[set of tools for unlocking cars] Most body shops and/or towing companies have these. I also have a mini set of feeler gauges,just a little smaller than the average key-those things will open a lot of cheaper locks,especially older Harleys. The water pump pliers or "channel lock pliers" would be my next alternative.
                    Just another thought,if you do have to get rough with it,be very wary of any thing that could cause a spark!
                    Last edited by 52hawk; 12-05-2012, 03:09 PM.
                    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Curious - what are "water pump pliers"? Never heard of that tool.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

ChanneLocks

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                        Curious - what are "water pump pliers"? Never heard of that tool.
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Well after hitting the lock a few times with WD40 and turning the key around and around, the whole key and lock came out from the cap. I guess it had broken off inside and which explains why it would spin and not unlock. So I used back up plan Mr ChanneLocks. Worked like a charm and off in about 10 minutes. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                          X