No announcement yet.

Are linkage components the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Are linkage components the same?

By chance, since the frames are so similar and the engine transmission locations are essentially the same would the same shift linkage have been used on C/K and sedans ? I'm either going to have to fabricate or locate linkages from the steering column to the Speedster OD transmission so this answer could simplify my search.

To: mmagic,---I've never tried it, but I would guess the linkage would be different between the coupes and the sedans.....would never rule out that the sedan linkage couldn't be modified to work though!

Comment

They are different. The steering boxes are in different positions relative to the transmission, so the sedan linkages are shorter than the C/K linkages. They are also a bear to bend and re-form, and will probably never work right if you try that.

Do yourself a favor and buy the chassis parts manual, instead of guessing and asking and getting other guesses.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I heated some shift linkages and bent them to fit. Worked great,for about 5 minutes-they lost their 'temper'and reshaped themselves,and I couldn't shift at all. Buy the right parts!
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

To: RadioRoy & 52hawk,----Good thing Columbus didn't listen when they told HIM it couldn't be done!!!!

Comment

Come on Ed, anything "can be done", but the question is: "will they interchange". No they will not.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
              >>>I'm either going to have to fabricate or locate linkages from the steering column to the Speedster OD transmission so this answer could simplify my search.
              IFStudebaker International

Comment

Thanks for the advice... I am surprised, but shouldn't be, that they would take such pressure as to require a tempered rod.... worst case I assumed I could just take rod, bend shape and thread liberally the adjustment end.

First problem is finding a steering column jacket and shift assembly for a C/K with PS. I do have a non PS column that perchance can be cut off to the right length but that enters into the question of getting it right because of shifter lengths.... but I'm not even sure this one is from a C/K.

Comment

To: StudeRich,-----I don't know what else I can say Rich....I've done so much adapting and 'making things work' over the last few years, that My thought processes instantly go in that direction.
                  I believe that with a set of torches, a mig welder, and a bit of suitable rod stock, sedan shift rods.... in a pinch.... can be made to work on a C/K. 'Nuff said!

Comment

The first question in adapting is, "Is the difference in length or in angles?" If it is in length by a couple of inches, a threaded rod coupler and threaded stock or bolt may be a simple answer. If the question is also angles this solves nothing. Straight line for a short distance at the transmission end should have nominal need for tempered rod.

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
                      >>>First problem is finding a steering column jacket and shift assembly for a C/K with PS.

OH MY ...You don't have the correct str. jacket?!?! I searched 15+ years before I found one!!!

Comment

Even if you make the blasted rods work unless you are doing a show car I would not waste my time and the rods or the bushings or someother part is gonna crap out and it will lock up in two gears. I fought my 65 for a decade welding up the arms and did the same with the buttons on the 54 when it was stock. When I changed to a Hurst 3 speed it felt great plus no more crawling under the car in the snow getting it unstuck. Yes I just had a Borgwarner t speed and then a Saginaw when the Borgwarner died but you can set up that same shifter with a simple rod to engage the OD and it will work so much easier. I guess I better take a photo of my Tcab sitting at the folks so I can post it so you cansee how simple the linkage can be.
                        If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                        64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                        61 V8 Tcab
                        63 Tcab 20R powered
                        55 Commander Wagon
                        54 Champion Wagon
                        46 Gibson Model A
                        50 JD MC
                        45 Agricat
                        67 Triumph T100
                        66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

It sounds like you are putting power steering into an overdrive equipped C/K. Is that correct? What year, if you don't mind telling?

If so, are you doing it to an early car with the integral steering box, or to the later system with the power and slave cylinders.

The job is SIGNIFICANTLY different between one PS system to the other.

The hardest part to find, assuming you want to do a bolt on job, is the secong forged arm that goes on the bottom of the steering column. They are different from power steering and non-power steering. The automatic has one of the forged arms, but the one that is missing took me three years to find.

The shift rods are alos different from power steering to non-power steering cars IF we are talking about the early power steering system. I assume since the OP mentions the steering jacket, that we are indeed talking about the early system.

Since the vast majority of Studebaker early power steering units are on automatic transmission equipped cars, the combination of stock and power steering is unusual.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post

OH MY ...You don't have the correct str. jacket?!?! I searched 15+ years before I found one!!!
                            I remain the optimist... It was scheduled for a two year project started in November and I'm doing everything I can do to have it ready for Colorado Springs.... since no one from the East seems to have enough confidence in their Studes to drive to Colorado. It would be a Crime to have a National and only a few cars show up.

Yes, I'm currently steering column challenged at the moment. Tomorrow I call West 29th Auto Salvage in Pueblo.. maybe in their 6,000 cars is a winner. I'd hate to drive it the last 60 miles without a steering column.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                              It sounds like you are putting power steering into an overdrive equipped C/K. Is that correct? What year, if you don't mind telling?
                              '55 Speedster, LA car, Manual transmission, OD, PS, PB. I presume early PS version. PS appears to be complete.

Proper steering column shell and shift linkage missing. Rod from box to steering wheel is present... It appears to be about the right length. It does have an automatic PS shell and I also have a column shift shell that appears to be from a non-PS C/K. One option may be to shorten the later shell or see if I can move the internals to the first one.

You grasp the dilema.

Comment

Working...
                              X