Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrs K Corbin
    replied
    also, look around the club for someone who's rather local with an R-series truck to take LOTSA pictures of... That helps tremendously..
    That's how I did my overdrive conversion.....

Leave a comment:

• Deadbodyman
    replied
    awesome, thanks for all the insight, I'll let you know how it all works out. And if i'm in need of something i'll see if you can help me out any.

A biiiiig help thanks again

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Without wishing to beat this subject further, it sounds like you have the complete box with the heater core and all its associated parts, plus the hardware that attaches the ductwork to the inner fender. You obviously should buy new hoses, but almost all the rest would be lot cheaper if you could buy it all as a package from someone who's parting out an early 2R truck. The on/off switch and the water control valve might be available from SI. If not, used ones can be repaired. The rubber gasket between the box and the dash can be fashioned from stick-on weatherstripping. I think I have some of the little ones that go on top of the defroster chimney. The three knobs, although they look identical, are all different, and the water control knob is permanently attached to the wire -- so make sure you get them with their respective controls. If you get in a pinch, I might have some decent used knobs.

Put some oil on the hinges attached to the trap door on the bottom of the box -- they break off easily (and then it's almost impossible to turn off the heat!). And I think you have to disconnect the driver's side windshield wiper arm to slide that box in there . . . . .

Leave a comment:

• Deadbodyman
    replied
    hey skip lackie,

Thanks for all your input. I'll send them an email and see what they think they can help me with. I'm going to work on the truck tomorrow and i'm definately going to do the Library work.

Again thanks again for all the insight!!!

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Originally posted by Deadbodyman View Post
    Thanks guys,

I actually have a parts catalog for the truck, but i just got the heater in the mail a few days ago and havent looked through the catalog yet. Once i get the part numbers i need is there any good places to look for them?

I definately plan on attending the York Swap meet, and looking there if there is not other options till then.

And Skip Lackie, It does have the big circle "S" stamp on the case. So i have the type A?
    It looks complete, i just need the hoses, and the controls (switches, choke cables etc.) and the faceplate for the dash insert. Any suggestions?

Thanks again guys!

I'll try to get some pics posted of the truck when i can
    Yes, you have a type A heater. The only way to determine exactly what you’re missing is “library research”; ie, compare what you have to the picture in the parts book. Check off what you have and list what you’re missing. Then compare those part numbers with those listed for type B and C heaters – otherwise you may end up buying something that won’t fit. The hoses are standard 5/8” heater hose available at any FLAPS, but if you have a 2R5, one of them is special that is formed into an L shape. I think SI may stock that one, as well as the fan control switch, the knobs, the choke cable button and wire, and maybe the face plate. These are not fast-moving items and may not appear in their catalog. I would send them an email and actually inquire about the availability of each item, by part number. I probably have a used face plate, but it wouldn’t be as nice looking as a new one.

The other option is to either wait until York, or try to find a whole bunch of stuff from one of the guys who specialize in used parts. The price would be much lower and you would know that everything came from the correct heater. Tom Karkewisc (sp?) would be one source. Another would be to post what you’re looking for over on the Stude Truck Talk site. Several of the guys who post there regularly are parting out Stude trucks, and the 2R series was by far the largest production.
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    You can get a copy of the original instruction sheet that came with a new heater 'kit' here:
    http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...rtemplates.htm
    I think you'll want AC-2261 for an early R-series truck.

Leave a comment:

• Deadbodyman
    replied
    Thanks guys,

I actually have a parts catalog for the truck, but i just got the heater in the mail a few days ago and havent looked through the catalog yet. Once i get the part numbers i need is there any good places to look for them?

I definately plan on attending the York Swap meet, and looking there if there is not other options till then.

And Skip Lackie, It does have the big circle "S" stamp on the case. So i have the type A?
    It looks complete, i just need the hoses, and the controls (switches, choke cables etc.) and the faceplate for the dash insert. Any suggestions?

Thanks again guys!

I'll try to get some pics posted of the truck when i can

Leave a comment:

• 2R2
    replied
    As Skip explained, there are a few different versions of the heater. One way of identifying the "type A" is that it has a big circle "S" Studebaker stamped on the engine side of the unit.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    http://www.studebakervendors.com/
    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 12-01-2012, 04:35 AM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    The parts manuals usually have great drawings showing how all the parts of a particular system, like the heater, relate to each other. That makes it much easier to visualize.

Plus it gives their "official" names and part numbers, which makes shopping the bigger parts places much easier.

I find in many cases that the parts manuals are as or more useful than the shop manuals. They are all available reprinted, and since they are draftsmen-made line drawings, they reproduce much better than the photo type (silk screen? Rotograve?) pictures in the shop manual.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Jason,
    Welcome to the Forum!
    You have certainly picked a good place to live if you have an interest in Studebakers. One of the largest, and the longest running all-Studebaker swap meets in the world is held each year at York Fairgrounds. This year it is February 28-March 2. The items you need will probably only be found either at a swap meet, through want ads in TURNING WHEELS magazine (I assume you are a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club) or by watching the on line auctions and networking with other Studebaker Club members. It is an accessory so will not appear in the shop manual. I checked the club's collection of templates and accessory instructions but did not find it on the list.
    The Keystone Region Chapter of SDC is one of the largest with nearly 400 member families. We are, in fact, holding our Christmas Banquet day after tomorrow in Strasburg. Too late to participate there but, contact our chapter secretary (in Paradise, PA) and we can help you with everything you need. You even have other Studebaker owners in Lebanon.

http://www.sdckeystoneregion.com/
    Last edited by rockne10; 11-30-2012, 05:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Looking for some help with Heater (climatizer) for 49 2R5

Hey guys,

New here, seems like a lot of you guys have a lot of wisdom and resources to share, and i'm hoping you can help.

I have a 49 2R5 that did not come with a heater.

I got one on ebay, and the guy said it worked, and held water etc.

What i'm looking for is:

A: Wiring diagrams, hookup instructions etc.

B: parts. Knobs, dash faceplates, hoses, wiring parts, switches etc.

I've shopped quite a bit with Studebaker international, but dont see much of anything. Obviously checking ebay constantly.

Also i have a shop manual for the R-series trucks and nothings in there either.

Any suggestions or info you can share would be greatly greatly appreciated.!!!
Working...
X