Need help installing Starlight Coupe rear windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Need help installing Starlight Coupe rear windows

Hello: I am new here but have been a Studebaker owner for about 25 years. I am in the process of resto-modifying my '51 Champion Starlight Coupe. We are trying to re-install the rear windows. We have gotten the two outboard windows in, but are having difficulity getting the other two in. I would appreciate any tips or other infromation as to how to get them in. The shop manual was not much help. Below is a photo as it looked fresh out of the paint shop. Thanks. LarryClick image for larger version

Name:	P1010390.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1736809

Hey Larry, not that I have experience, but I think in this thread they found that installing right to left, passenger to driver worked better. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ndow+starlight

Nice color, by the way. I am in your area and plan to go the Cars and Coffee car meet up in Plano with my Stude. Keep in touch on the boards here.
    Last edited by deco_droid; 11-30-2012, 10:12 AM.
    sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
    Regal Deluxe Trim
    Automatic transmission
    46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

To deco_droid: Thanks for the tip, it eventually led me to some help. I did get my glass in, here is a description of how we did it.

Today we managed to get the remaining two rear glasssections in my ’51 Champion Starlight Coupe. At times, there were three of us working on it, but most of the time itwas me and my body shop guy. The firstthing we did was to make sure the lip of the body that the rubber had to goover to get the glass in was free of burrs and rough spots. We used liberal amounts of soapy water tolubricate both the rubber and the lip of the car (pinch weld). Having tried the cord, we decided to try itwithout it because we felt it mostly got in the way and took up space that weneeded to get the rubber gasket through the window opening. We started the installation of the centerrear windows by coming from inside the car, then seating the seal along thewindow divider that is toward the outside of the car. Then it was a matter of getting the glassthrough the center divider. We pushedand pushed and with two of us pushing and the third man using a large suctioncup applied to the outside of the glass, we got it through. During this pushing, we also pried the gasketlip over the pinch weld. We used theplastic tools that are tapered at the end for this. I was the inside the car guy and I alsopushed on the seal using the plastic tool from the inside, which actually madeit easier for the outside guy to get the lip over the pinch weld. Anyway finally here was a pop and the glasswent into place. Once the glass wasbasically in place, we worked the rest of the rubber gasket over the car lip andinto place. We got it in withoutdamaging the rubber gasket. It is quitean effort, but I am glad it is done.
      For the outboard rear glass I recommend starting with themiddle divider, the one between the outer and inner rear glass sections. Then work the glass towards the front of thecar. We used the cord on these glasssections and it seemed to work ok.

Comment

Wow Larry, that sounds like quite an ordeal, but I'm glad you got everything in without any mishaps. Keep us updated on your progress -- it looks like a sweet ride!
        sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
        Regal Deluxe Trim
        Automatic transmission
        46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Larry R View Post
          Hello: I am new here but have been a Studebaker owner for about 25 years. I am in the process of resto-modifying my '51 Champion Starlight Coupe. We are trying to re-install the rear windows. We have gotten the two outboard windows in, but are having difficulity getting the other two in. I would appreciate any tips or other infromation as to how to get them in. The shop manual was not much help. Below is a photo as it looked fresh out of the paint shop. Thanks. Larry[ATTACH=CONFIG]19076[/ATTACH]
          There's a rare car in the background a little bubble car

Comment

Working...
          X