Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Need a little help here guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Need a little help here guys

'57 Transtar 259 with auto (factory)
    My truck has the original 2-barrel Stromberg 120 carb for an auto trany set-up. My carb is pretty "used" and worn out.I did have it rebuilt with just a gasket kit from SI. Since the 120 is hard to find and another one could be in the same shape, I figured I would just up grade a little but would like to try to stay period correct. That being said I do not know what I am looking for concerning a 4-barrel intake and carbs to fit.

I would love to go with a double 2-barrel Stromberg set-up for the 259 motor. Examples herehttp://www.vintagespeed.com/
    Love the look but hate the prices. Any ideas? Goodies in the closet?

To: doublepaddle,----- Not period correct, but I'd bet you'd be really happy with a brand new EDELBROCK (Carter AFB re-make) 500CFM with the electric choke option. Put this on a Stude WCFB manifold
    with an adapter, or rework the WCFB manifold so the Edelbrock fits properly....You could also have a 'low' Stude 2BBL. manifold re-worked ....or better yet find an AFB style Stude 4BBL manifold
    Good luck!

Comment

I figured I would just up grade a little but would like to try to stay period correct
      Ah, the slippery slope strikes again. BTDTNA. You'd be money and time ahead to send your carb to a professional rebuilder and get a like-new carb back. It would probably be $250.

A Stude friend recently "upgraded" and by the time he'd bought a new intake manifold, gaskets, air cleaner, carburetor, he was in it $600 and two weekends of labor. He'd never admit it publically, but privately he told me he wished he hadn't done it. His truck no longer looks original, doesn't run any better, no better fuel economy and how much over 90 MPH do you want to be going in a Transtar anyway?

Your truck, your money, your decision.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Dave Thibeault can help you out. He can rebuild and re-chromate your 120 to look and act like new. Or, he can set you up with intake and carbs out the wazoo.

13 Nick Lane, Maynard, MA. 01754, (978) 897-3158

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Dave Thibeault really is the 'Best In the Business" We're lucky He didn't grow up liking Fords or Chevys!!

Comment

You have an unusual truck. A friend ordered a new 1957 Transtar with 259 Automatic. I can't recall any others.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

when new

Truck was shipped to Cal when new. Spent its life in the South West, New Mexico, area.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                You have an unusual truck. A friend ordered a new 1957 Transtar with 259 Automatic. I can't recall any others.
                Some years back there was a bronze and white '57 automatic here in the NW.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Many of the Omaha orange California state highway trucks had automatic transmissions.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                  10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                  56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                  60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Hey how's the truck going? Driving mine short distances right now!
                    I've got a '58 Transtar Auto..... They're right, 4bbl is not the way to go.... I've got a 4bbl and wish it were 2..

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                      Many of the Omaha orange California state highway trucks had automatic transmissions.
                      Were they also factory V8s?
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        Were they also factory V8s?
                        The one I am familiar with is a V-8. I cannot imagine buying a six automatic in a highway truck.
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

My grandfather had a 56 Transtar with V8 Auto, but is was a very rusty basket case when we brought it home and ended up getting parted out by the next owner. Not sure if he built another auto truck or not.

Comment

Good to hear your traveling even if just short distances. Mine is also just good for a short trip. Got the wiring all replaced. My biggest problem is rear seal oil leak even after rebuild. It gets on the exhaust pipes and smokes and stinks. Leak from front seal on transmission also on pipes. Waiting to get it back to mechanic. I put in a used carrier bearing and it now fell apart. Need to rebuild it too. Working on painting the wheels and hub caps. .

Comment

I need a radiator something fierce, and a seat bottom that's worth restoring...
                              of course inner fender left side, upper floor pans, door bottoms, bed floor, paint, interior, and "A Partridge in a Pear Treeeee!"
                              LMAO!

Comment

Working...
                              X