• Show
Clear All

• TXmark
    replied
    I thought a good replacement would be Derlin or UHMW

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    If he made a bushing the full length of the housing yes. But 3 bearings are faster. I have never seen a center pivot with bushings, so I wouldn't know how that is.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Van Veghten
    replied
    Alan -

Isn't a well cared for (well lubed) bushing better that a bearing ?

A bearing doesn't like being pounded on like what happens with steering mechanisms. A bushing will take more pounding without as much damage.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    I put 3 bearings in them. 2, 1216 Torringtons and 1, 1212 OH in the center. If the 2, 1212 bearings have failed, look at replacing the shaft too.

Leave a comment:

• kamzack
    replied
    Mid 62, the torrington bearings were replaced with the bushings. 63 would have bushings unless they've been changed. Most Stude folk I've been around prefer the old style with the bearings. My 62 Daytona had bushings and I took the pin to machine shop and had it turned to fit the torringtons. My opinion, bearing will last much longer than bushings in this application. I've recently rebuilt front ends on 2 later model,64&66, and put bearings in them.
    Just my opinion, don't hit me too hard,
    Kim

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Just so everyone knows...they're speaking of the steering bellcrank 'bracket' assy.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    I don't think you can tell without taking it at least partially apart.
    If you remove the cotter pin and castle nut, save and keep track of the shims!.... you can see the bearing around the shaft then. The needle bearing will be thicker, and may even have part #'s showing. A bushing will be bronze and much thinner around the shaft.

Leave a comment:

• TXmark
    started a topic Steering: bushing or bearing

bushing or bearing

I have a '63 hawk, that year they used a bushing part of the year and a bearing the later part for the steering control arm. Without taking it apart how can I tell which one I have? it seemed to fail suddenly so that leads me to think it has a needle bearing.
Working...
X