No announcement yet.

Record for a battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In this part of the country we counted on about 5 years from a 'life time' warranty battery in normal use. What has been said about the heat is true. The trucking company I work for runs coast to coast and replaces lots more batteries in the summer than in the winter. None of our trucks are over two years old.

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
    since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

In 1977 I bought a new E250 F**d van for a tow vehicle. As usual, by 1979 the original Motorcraft battery croaked. At that time my wife worked for Firestone, and they sold the "Firestone Forever Battery. I bought one, pricey at the time ($75.) As you might expect, I still have the van and am on battery # 9 I guess I'm one of the few they lost money on. When I go get a new replacement, it takes some explaining and sometimes a phone call to the local "zone" office to confer with an "experienced" employee. Not too many folks keep cars/trucks that long. My theory...if it still does the job, why replace it. It hauled the hot rod below many a mile as well as others and campers too. Don't ask about fuel mileage,[B)] I can buy a lot of fuel for the difference in what a new replacement would cost. Just my experience.

Dan Miller
      Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
      Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rusty nut garage

I'm with Hank, here in the heat of AZ (but its a dry heat )
        anything over 2-3 yrs is a bonus. I keep track of my batteries and between the 2-3 mark I have them replaced.
        Russ
        quote:Originally posted by hank63

You guys are lucky. In a warm climate (like in Queensland), any battery life after 3 years is a bonus !
        /H
        Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
        57 SH (project)
        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)
        As Hank Hill (a Texas original) would say in agreement with the Australians and the Arizonans, "Yep".

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon
        Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon
        Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

I was an AC Delco warehouse battery distributor before I sold out and retired. It was not uncommon to see Delco batteries over 10 years old. They are not quite the same since Delphi sold out. JCI (Johnson Control) is the main player these days. They make Interstate, Sears, Walmart, Costco. Not all are made to the same specs. I have an AC Delco in all my cars. The battery in my 98 Sebring convertible is over 6 years old and in the Arizona heat.
          Denny L

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Green53
            I have an AC Delco in all my cars. The battery in my 98 Sebring convertible is over 6 years old and in the Arizona heat.
            Denny L
            Original Delco battery in my '01 Sierra...bought in the fall of '00. Coming up on 7 years.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Green53

I was an AC Delco warehouse battery distributor before I sold out and retired. It was not uncommon to see Delco batteries over 10 years old. They are not quite the same since Delphi sold out. JCI (Johnson Control) is the main player these days. They make Interstate, Sears, Walmart, Costco. Not all are made to the same specs. I have an AC Delco in all my cars. The battery in my 98 Sebring convertible is over 6 years old and in the Arizona heat.
              Denny L
              Denny-
              Do you have any recommendations about who makes the longest-lived battery today?

Skip Lackie
              Washington DC
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Denny would know better than me, but I've heard the AGM (absorbent glass mat) batteries (like Optima) are the hot set up for long life.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

My Ford friend bought his '34 in late 1990 and replaced (the trunk mounted) battery with an Optima at that time. It's still there!

Dwain G.
                  So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

Comment

The number of actual manufacturers has really dropped in the last couple of years. JCI(Johnson Control) now makes Delco. They still make a good battery. East Penn purchased Douglas. Their quality is good. They like JCI market under private label. Exide is still out there. I really don't know what their quality is currently. I got burned by them with their poor quality in the past. The Optima is a good battery. We dealt with them direct until they were gobbled up by JCI. I did have a higher failure rate with them than I liked but overall they did ok. I sold a lot of the 6 volt Optimas as they do a great job of starting the old cars. In some cases I would buy empty battery cases with tops and terminals cut out the insides and then put an Optima inside. Looked real but had some serious power. I used to have replica Studebaker batteries made by a small independent manufacturer. They ran out of cases and now the owner passed away recently so that source is gone.
                    Denny L

Comment

Lots of interesting info in this thread. I've never paid any attention to battery life spans- when one dies I just go to Wal-Mart and get another!

Kudos to those who can keep track of such things.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

Working...
                      X