Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

plug wire length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: plug wire length

Does anyone have a set of original late V-8 plug wires that you can measure the length. I just tailored a set of MSD wires. It dawned on me that it would be easier to cut to a known length rather that individual to suite. The parts book show 6 wires at 28 3/4" and the coil wire is 10 1/2" to 11 1/2" for 59 to 61 engines. The other two are of unknown length. 62 to 64 do not have a length mentioned. I used 29" for cylinders 1,3,5,6,7,8. I used 36" for cylinders 2,4. The coil wire is 11". I was wondering how close this is to original.

Jim
    james r pepper

Jim, I have the lengths recorded and can post them tomorrow. The low mileage '64 Daytona that I acquired a couple years back, still had the original wires on the engine. I purchased a set of wire-wound wires from Phil Harris, but found the wire lengths quite different from the original set. Most wires were a way too long for an appropriate fit on the engine. I shortened 6 of the 8 wires and was able to use 2, as is, since they were only 1" longer than stock. I kept the original wires as patterns for future engine rewiring.
    I think that I posted this information here on the forum, but I can't remember when or where.

I'm sure that you are aware, that you have to be very careful in shortening the wire-wound stock, as that winding is very easy to cut. Out of curiosity, I cut a 1" length, stripped it, and pulled off the winding. I found approx. 13" of fine wire per inch of jacketed wire.

Comment

Yea...I always cut to suit. Just looks/fits better when things fit "my way"...not someone elses way.

Mike

Comment

Cylinders 1,3,5,6 #1555515 29.5"
        2,4 #1555516 31.5"
        7,8 #1555514 26"
        Coil #1555522 10.5"

These wires were originally red or maroon. Two were marked in yellow "EAL RADIO L.R. RESISTOLITE 7MM 3 Q 63". The other 6 were similarly marked "7 MM RADIO RESISTANCE H-T".

Comment

Did the original wires have straight boots both on the distributor end, and the plug end?
          Are you measuring the distance from boot end to boot end, or just the actual wire?
          Steve
          Buckeye, Arizona

1960 Hawk R2 4 speed project

Comment

The boots on both ends are straight. The measured length includes the spark plug boot length, as that boot is essentially fixed in position, but does not include the distributor boot length, as that measurement is to the base of the distributor cap socket, or wire end.

Comment

Would the Avanti lengths and straight boots originally be the same?

Thanks

Neil

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the answer is no. I do have the lengths recorded that I use on Avantis. I prefer to use 45 degree boots on the Avanti sparkplugs- much better fit.

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
                  I'm pretty sure that the answer is no. I do have the lengths recorded that I use on Avantis. I prefer to use 45 degree boots on the Avanti sparkplugs- much better fit.
                  Would you be able to share those lengths? Good info for an Avanti owner to keep on file. Someone had told me Ford 289 275? Hp wires will fit also.
                  Thanks
                  Neil

Comment

These are the Avanti wire lengths that I have recorded:
                    1,2,4 - 36"
                    3 - 35"
                    5,6 - 30.5"
                    7 - 28"
                    8 - 29" - all with angled spark plug boots
                    coil - 10"

Comment

Thanks very much Bill. It just occured to me it was you I was "talking with" . I will give you a call later this week to setup an appointment for hopefully maybe Sunday to visit with supercharger in hand! i need to take it off yet.
                      I cut and past the ignition wire info into a spreadsheet I have for the Avanti.
                      Thanks again and have a great week ahead!

Neil

Comment

Working...
                      X