1966 wagonaire front subframe question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: 1966 wagonaire front subframe question

I have a 66 wagonaire. I want to upgrade front end. I was looking at a mustang 2 front subframe, but is there any other car subframe that will fit under it?i want to upgrade suspension,steering and brakes.any help would be awesome!!! Have a good day

I drove a '66 Wagonaire over 2 years with only a Turner brake front disc brake upgrade.
    What else would be needed unless you plan on running a gymkhana with it?
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

t needs king pins and some other misc stuff trying to figure out best and most effective way to fix.not the cheapest i plan on keeping this one best car i ever bought

Comment

hobagger

I'll get you started with this discussion previously on the forum. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...n-installation

Just a note, there are two things that get "active" discussion on the forum, SBC's in Studes and changing the front suspension so this could get a lot of comments.

The one replacement designed for the Stude is from Slick Street Stuff and has been discussed with plus and minus comments. Mike V. on the forum has put vette stuff under his but not without a lot of fab and planning.

I'm still partial to the current suspension totally rebuilt with upgrades as I'm happy with my 83 Avanti and will do the same in my 74 but if you have fab skills and knowledge "forge ahead" as you may add to the list of improvements available to Studebakers.

Don't miss the fact that Art Morrision builds a complete chassis and RALT12 on the forum is building a gorgeous 53 example.

The search function will get you a ton of info. Here's the one on modifying the current suspension. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...g+modification

Avanti, Bob
        Last edited by sweetolbob; 11-24-2012, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hobagger View Post
          I have a 66 wagonaire. I want to upgrade front end. I was looking at a mustang 2 front subframe, but is there any other car subframe that will fit under it?i want to upgrade suspension,steering and brakes.any help would be awesome!!! Have a good day
          Lets break this up - (since you're new, welcome, and I'll go easy on you..!)

1. Upgrade the Suspension -
          Upgrade..? You'll still have upper and lower control arms, still have coil springs, you'll still have spindles (yea, I know the Stude parts aren't called spindles..! What you'll gain is weaker ball joints, but you will gain more adjustability.
          But do you really need the adjustability ?
          If you are an around town driver, to car shows, the store...you won't gain anything. If you are out on the freeways traveling long distances, still not much gain. If you like pushing the car into and out of turns, driving the car harder thAn most, you MAY gain some here.
          I say "may gain", is because "MANY" weld on "kits" have no better geometry thAn the Stude does. May be prettier, may be different, but no better.
          You need to know and understand the geometry of what you are removing "and" what you are installing to really make the overall suspension "better".

2. Upgrade the steering -
          While the rack and pinion I think you may be talking about, (some front end kits also come with the worm and sector boxes), a properly adjusted stock box will work very well.
          While people have installed R&P's on Stude front ends, I'm not sure it wasn't a lot of work for little to no gain.

3. Upgrade the brakes -
          There are two kits on the market for an easy swap to front discs, both kits using current GM and Ford parts.
          Or you can do what I did to my 54 wagon, make your own parts and use Wilwood calipers and master cylinder.

Yes, what Bob said, I designed (one more time on this one, a LOT of designing) and installed my own C4 Corvette front clip into my 60 Lark wagon. Also as he states, a lot of design, a lot of fabricating, a lot of welding.
          I note the design, because I actually wanted an overall, better handling car for many reasons (Solo 1 racing, drag racing, playing in the mountains).

So sure, it can be done, and done well by others thAn just myself, but as noted, you really need to know what the system you are removing does, vs. what you want the new one to do....AND what the design changes are that will accomplish this.

There is also a kit on the market (Slick Street Stuff) that has much of what you want.
          "BUT"....as most weld on kits, it doesn't "fix" the Stude problems, just changes the look.

Just a few things to think about.

Mike

P.s. - add front and rear anti-sway bars, heavy duty shocks, good tires and proper wheels (the correct width for the tires), and a full rebuild of the stock parts will be cheaper, easier...and...you just might be surprised how well it works.
          Even with my hot rod Vette suspensioned Lark...my daily driver 54 wagon that I'm currently building...has exactly what I describe above.
          Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 11-24-2012, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Mike, do your comments apply to my 39 CE with the planar suspension? I see it has some commonality with the later suspension but has rotary shocks and no sway bar.
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

T -

See PM.

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike!

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                T -

See PM.

Mike
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

If you lived close I would take you for a ride in Pinkie and after you changed to a clean pair of shorts you would agree that stock suspension with upgrades such as delrin bushings and Turner Brakes if you are worried about stopping a bit faster is all that you will need.
                  If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                  64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                  61 V8 Tcab
                  63 Tcab 20R powered
                  55 Commander Wagon
                  54 Champion Wagon
                  46 Gibson Model A
                  50 JD MC
                  45 Agricat
                  67 Triumph T100
                  66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment