what parts will swap and what won't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: what parts will swap and what won't

Will the 4 speed flywheel- from a 289 engine fit on to a 259 with 3 speed overdrive transmission?
    Can I use the clutch and pressure plate from the 259 on the 289 fly wheel?
    I am sure the flywheel and starter on the 289 are 12 volt as is the entire car. I want to keep it that way. I would just like to get the flywheel machined and ready to go so my swap goes as smooth as possible.
    Beside starter flywheel (with same ring gear) anything else
    I have what I think is the O/D cable the car has the 3 on the tree stub left on the steering column, I will be using a floor shifter.
    I will need to determine if the O/D unit is a 6 cylinder and changer it out if is.
    please let me know sooner than later so my swap to great running 259 3 speed overdrive goes smoothly. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
    Thanks again K-Hawk

My guess is "yes" but I do not have the parts in front of me so I can confirm so. I do not think there is any difference in either the bellhousings or flywheels, and I think the outer dimensions of the pressure plates are the same (meaning that the spacing of the bolt holes is the same) even though the 259 has a 10 inch clutch and the 289 a 10.5 inch clutch. Hopefully, someone else will confirm or deny this so you will know before you pay to have the flywheel machined.

Comment

Yes the Flywheel will enterchange. The Diff. between 259 and 289 is the stronger (PSI) of the 289 Pressure Plate, and the larger Disc. as mentioned.

The Major issue here is the Clutch Housing, if your 4 speed Housing is a 1961 or early 1962 Chevy. Case T-10 pattern, it will not fit the T-86 Overdrive Tranny. You need a '58-'64, 3 speed or late '62-'64 4 Speed Ford case Housing.

It should be easy to see that if you have the wide pattern, lower right hand Tranny. bolt hole in a early 4 Speed housing will be wrong and not fit.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks, I have the bell housing to go with the 3 speed unit they came as a set. I will press on. thanks again.

Comment

Since you are using a floor shifter why even mess with the OD cable. I used a Hurst floor shifter in one of my Tcabs and a simple rod to engage or disengage the OD.
          If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
          64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
          61 V8 Tcab
          63 Tcab 20R powered
          55 Commander Wagon
          54 Champion Wagon
          46 Gibson Model A
          50 JD MC
          45 Agricat
          67 Triumph T100
          66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

can you send me a picture of how the rod connects . I have never installed this type of transmission. The previous operator just had the cable sticking out of a hole in the floor and pulled on it to engage O/D. Are you saying a small rod with a skull attached to the rod would do the same thing and look cool too.

Comment

yes a small rod with a skull attached to it will do the same thing. That truck is sitting at my folks place. I dont have the three grand it will take to put it back on the road. it needs the engine rebuilt. #1 has a rod knock and the valves wobble in their guides a bit much for me.

I simply have to many vehicles and reality has made me focus on my tractors. You simply cant plow four to five feet of snow with a Tcab.
              If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
              64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
              61 V8 Tcab
              63 Tcab 20R powered
              55 Commander Wagon
              54 Champion Wagon
              46 Gibson Model A
              50 JD MC
              45 Agricat
              67 Triumph T100
              66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment