wierd valve issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wierd valve issue

First, let me setup the way I have arrived here.

I purchased a 63 R2 Avanti that had been in storage for forty years. No rust, nice interior, battered paint, 40 years old.

So, I make this plan:

1. Get it to run.
    2. Get it to stop.
    3. Get it to drive.
    4. Get it to run well.

1,2 & 3 took a little doing: new brake everything, new cooling everything.
    Now she stops. Runs at 180 degrees. Moves down the road.

I need to do the carb, as I only have an idle circuit and low speed jets - no secondaries. So, the SC is sitting on the bemch.

In keeping with my plan, knowing that I need to rebuild the card (kit in hand), I adjust the valves, sort of. I start on the passenger side, engine running. I adjust 2,4,6, and the intake for 8, when I notice that the exhaust isn't moving. Hmmmn.

Well, forty years of staying in the same state could leave a valve stuck open, I guess.

So, I do a little work trying to free it. Note that the clearance is about 1/4". No luck. Strange, it will turn; but it won't lift.

But wait a minute. It will open more. In fact, based on a measurement, it seems just as CLOSED as any other one that is closed!

So, I turn the engine over until both push rods for 8 are fully down - valves would be fully closed. I check the intake .025 and the exhaust is huge - but the push rod moves up and down the full range, so it would seem. So, I adjust the exhaust until it is .025. Put the cover on start the car - new life.

It would appear that the cam lobe is ok. I don't know how the adjuster could have worked its way loose - which is tightening the adjuster. Strange.

Could it have last been adjusted wrong???

Anyone ever encounter anything so strange?

fmarshall

I you sure you did not bend a pushrod a bit on startup and just adjusted it to make up for the bend ?

JDP/Maryland
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    64 GT R2
    63 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I you sure you did not bend a pushrod a bit on startup and just adjusted it to make up for the bend ?

JDP/Maryland
      64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
      64 GT R2
      63 GT R2
      63 Lark 2 door
      59 3E truck
      58 Starlight
      52 & 53 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP,

Great insight!! That does make lots of sense. Let's assume that happened. Should I pull all of the pushrods and replace them, because thay could be weak from age?? Or just that one for inspection?

I did a compression test and that cylinder is the 2nd best!!

fmarshall

Comment

Could be either...your find or JDP's thought...or the lobe is only partially in-tact?!?! Could be that a true "dial indicator" inspection is in order here.

Mike

Comment

Just check them by rolling them on a sheet of glass or something very flat. BTW, it's just a thought, it could be the cam or the adjuster, but worth a look. I know I've bent a few trying to open a sticky valve, so it's possible.

JDP/Maryland
          64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
          64 GT R2
          63 GT R2
          63 Lark 2 door
          59 3E truck
          58 Starlight
          52 & 53 Starliner
          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

The problem did turn out to be a severely bent push rod. And I'm happy to say that it has been replaced. And the car is running very well.

Thanks to all that helped!!

Comment

Working...
            X