Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

aftermarket shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks: aftermarket shocks

When buying shocks how does the weight rating work,...? For example I have a 52 commander two door hard top that I am installing a four link and coil over shocks on the rear on a 30 degree angle.
    I understand there is a weight that you begin with and An adjustment to that weight for the angle but what its the starting weight and process from there ?

Thanks for any help.

Dean.
    Last edited by dean pearson; 10-01-2012, 06:06 PM.

Bump, do I hear crickets ???

Comment

Go to a drag race chassis instruction manual, that will get you "started".
      The problem with this is...the angle of your shocks. Most "charts" are set up to spring chassis that have the shocks straight up and down, that is...zero angle. I saw somewhere a chart for shocks at various angles...but don't recall where.

I ended up going a few spring loads stiffer to get the ride I wanted. As I recall, something like 150 or so lbs. stiffer.
      Also something to remember. Since these "coil over shock" springs are so small, they have to work harder thAn a normal diameter spring and are going to "sag" quicker thAn a normal, full sized spring, so buying a 50lb stiffer spring than you think you want...might be a good idea a few thousand miles down the road. Ask me how I know....

I'll try to remember to go look for my old charts in the next night or two. Or at least what spring I used.

I put a set of GM truck arms under my 54 wagon using coil-over shocks/springs. So far...nice...!
      I didn't want to cut up the floor for a true four bar and don't care for the parallel four arm design. Too much stuff going on for little gain. I already have a true four bar (drag race style) setup in a Lark I've started. That required basically...a floor removal..I didn't want that for my 54 !

Mike
      Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 10-02-2012, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Dean -

I'd recommend you start with 200lb springs.
        My wagon, being a little heavier thAn your 52, I currently have 300lb springs in it, and it's pretty nice. I started with 150lb springs and there was no way. These are recommended with shocks that are vertical...!

And remember, you do have some height adjustment with the threaded ring.
        Depending on what shocks you bought, you may also have "shock" adjustments for stiffness.

Be sure to buy the correct length springs for your paticular length shocks. Summit amd Jegs are good places to get a good range of springs for a good price.

Have fun.

Mike

Comment

Hey Mike,
          Thanks so much for your replies. Actually I was looking at competition engineering part number 2782 for heavy vehicles 2900 to 3900#.
          Now I think that is way overkill ???.
          Your advice is greatly appreciated, I don't mind going slightly overboard but don't want to grossly over pay.
          So you think shocks rated at 250 would be more than enough ?
          I'm still going back and fourth over coil overs verses an air bag shock but coil overs seem to be a little cheaper.

Thanks again for your help.

Dean.

Comment

Airbags are for big trucks..!
            Just my opinion..! Maybe someday, but to me, they are still too much in the development stages for cars. They have a ways to go, as far as I'm concerned. Plus they need all that other garbage to make them work...more truck stuff..!

The "springs" would be rated at 200lb. or 250lb., not the shocks. The shocks really don't care, as long as you have a good working length. As I recall, there are normally three different length shocks sold by most of the shock manufacturers.
            Then, there are the cheap versions with no adjustability, then the medium priced shocks with one adjustment (normally general damping), then there are the full priced shocks that have both an extension and the rebound adjustments available. And normally, both the medium and the high priced versions are rebuildable...which is nice.

And yea, your car is in the 2700lb. to 2900lb curb weight range isn't it ? Then you have to add some because of the angularity of the shock.. So yea, I'd start with the 200lb. or 250lb. springs.

Mike

Comment

"Speedway", in one of their catalogs, has guidelines for estimating exactly what you want. Get both their Street Rod and Racing/Track catalogs - Not sure which one it is in. Lots and lots of great info in both issues.
              Paul TK

Comment

Working...
              X