Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Trans front bearing replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: Trans front bearing replacement

On a 60-V with overdrive is it possible to replace the front input shaft bearing without disassembling the mainshaft assy? I have volunteered to help a friend. He has a strong noise from the rear of the engine that varies while idling & becomes very strong with added RPM's in neutral. I am hoping its just the front bearing in the trans & not something more serious in the engine.

We will pull the trans later this week, start the engine & see if the noise has gone (hopefully) or if its still there, there is engine damage to make sure what the area the noise is from.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

A bad front bearing is noisy in low and second gear when driving, and somewhat less noisy in high gear - yes, it is still turning, but with no side thrust. From what you describe I am not sure I would blame the front transmission bearing. But yes, there is a puller tool that clamps in the bearing snap ring groove and pulls the bearing off the main drive gear. However, if indeed the bearing has gone bad, I would advise dis-assembling the entire transmission and cleaning all the tiny metal flakes that would now be throughout your transmission.

Comment

Working...
    X