X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1964-5 Studebaker Daytona Exterior Trim Questions

All:

2 questions:

1. The quad-headlamp grille on my car is damaged pretty badly from being backed into. It is beyond economic repair. Stude Int'l has an NOS 2-headlamp grille for sale. Can you remove the headlight bezel/surrounds to make these interchangeable?
    2. Also- it appears from reading other posts that the belt trim on my Daytona is aluminum. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience on the best way to refurbish this and the associated costs?

Thanks to all,
    John Robinson

Originally posted by olechesterpackard View Post
    All:

2 questions:

1. The quad-headlamp grille on my car is damaged pretty badly from being backed into. It is beyond economic repair. Stude Int'l has an NOS 2-headlamp grille for sale. Can you remove the headlight bezel/surrounds to make these interchangeable?
    2. Also- it appears from reading other posts that the belt trim on my Daytona is aluminum. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience on the best way to refurbish this and the associated costs?

Thanks to all,
    John Robinson
    1. Yes, John; you can. But you'll be working with soft aluminum, so care must be taken to avoid bending/distorting it.

2. Dick Steinkamp has posted some excellent procedures for polishing soft aluminum exterior trim in the course of redoing his current 1963 Daytona Wagonaire project. Search the Forum for his recent 1963 Daytona Wagonaire exterior assembly updates and you'll run across the procedure momentarily.

Best. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob:

Thanks for the answer, but let me clarify: are there clips or bolts that hold in the headlight surrounds, or am I going to be doing some cutting? Just wanted clarification. I will look up the Wagonaire thread.
      Thanks again, John

Comment

Yes, you will have to cut the two-headlight grille to fit the four-headlight "doors," as they are called.

But before you go to all that trouble, don't throw up your hands and assume you have to modify a 2-headlight grille to get what you want. There are many, many good, used 1964/1965 4-headlight grilles available, and they don't cost all that much to ship since they are light weight.

Personally, as the owner of three 4-headlight 1964 Daytonas, I'd never consider buying and modifying a 2-headlight grille if I needed a new one. I'd find a good used one first, there are so many of them out there. Some vendors other than Studebaker International may even have one or two new ones.

Are you coming to the National Meet in South Bend at the end of July? There will be many of those grilles to choose from at the swap meet. If you aren't coming, perhaps you can locate someone closer to you who is, who could pick one up for you and bring it back. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob:

I am a preservationist/restorer, so I will not chew up an NOS trim part- what a nightmare! I will look for a better used one. Anyone out there have an NOS (or really nice used) 4 light grille?

John Robinson

Comment

PM me if you need a decent '64/5 dual headlight grille & advice.
            Rob in PA.

Comment

Working...
            X