Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: AC Oil Bath Air Cleaner Decal

All,

I am in the last stages of restoration for a '51 Champion Starlight Coupe. I intend to bring it to South Bend for the International Meet but have come across an "asthestic" issue. I am unable to find an AC brand decal that afixes to the oil bath style air cleaner. SI only carries the United brand version.
    Attached is a picture of the decal I seek. After hours of searching the web, I cannot find one available. Being such an obvious item in the engine compartment I really want to have the proper decal in place before the meet.
    Does anyone know where a guy can get the proper AC oil bath air cleaner decal?
    Attached Files

Doug, is that your specific air cleaner in the photo? If so, it is not an oil bath air cleaner.

You may be able to find an AC air cleaner decal, but it shouldn't have anything to do with oil bath if it is going on that air cleaner body.

Please clarify and we can go from there. Your attention to detail is appreciated (nice battery hold-down, too). BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Air Cleaner Clarificaton

The engine compartment shown in the picture is not my actual car however the air filter body does exactly match the unit I have. I want to mimic the set up you see in the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by dhodak View Post
        The engine compartment shown in the picture is not my actual car however the air filter body does exactly match the unit I have. I want to mimic the set up you see in the picture.
        Got it, Doug. Does that decal actually say oil bath air cleaner? I can't believe it if it does, because that is an oil-wetted mesh filter mounted atop a silencing canister; definitely not an oil bath air cleaner.

You're right; I do not see an appropriate decal for that filter assembly in the Studebaker International catalog. I'd suggest getting on the 'net and researching other restoration supply places who have such products. I doubt that it is unique to Studebaker. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

You could try a "GM" brand restoration place. I know that Fusick Oldsmobile (East Windsor CT) have AC decals in their catalogue. I know that Fusick sells both dry type and oil bath page 53 catalogue 480 and available on line.
          sigpic
          55 President Deluxe
          64 Commander
          66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

To answer your questions...
            I do not actually know what the decal shown says as my unit did not have the decal to start with. Zooming up the picture (from a firend's previous owned '51) does not help. Too much fuzz.
            I have tried looking on the web for hours without success. I have found one for a Henry J but is appears to be red lettering, not white. I will try the Fusick recommendation mentioned in the thread and advise.

Comment

You might try searching this site for decals. Over 2400 are listed and paging through some of them there could be one similar to what you are looking for. Lots of Buick and Cadillac decals. I found many with AC on them but in my limited look did not see exactly yours.

Rubber the Right Way offers reproduction weatherstripping & rubber parts for a variety of American vehicles, including classic cars. Explore our catalog online.

Does this one match yours?

Found here:

Ooops looked again and realized you are looking for white on black.

How about this one? Not the same exactly but the colors are closer.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-18-2012, 06:05 AM. Reason: took a 2nd look at OPs picture.

Jeff in ND

Comment

The lower one Jeff found looks like just the ticket. Thanks for the research, Jeff. BP

Comment

Tried Fusick but they were not able to help without an AC filter part number.
                  As for the two decal offered in the pictures - the orange one is it, but the wrong color. The black one is different lettering but the right color. I am going to order the B/W item and keep searching. This looks to be the best option for a balance of authenticity versus aesthetics.
                  If anyone finds a B/W decal with the "orange" text, let me know. Thank you all for the help so far.
                  Last edited by dhodak; 07-18-2012, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Agreed, not an oil bath filter. Also a warning:
                    My '41 Commander came to me with one (my mesh was copper) quite similar.
                    One of the first things I noticed was that on hard acceleration the car cut out like crazy but was fine once you eased off.
                    Turned out that the "horsehair" silencer in the lid was getting sucked down over the carb throat.
                    Removed the horsehair, and all was good.
                    I have since replaced that unit with a real oil bath; also great.

Comment

Also, if you are really going to drive this thing, you can replace the wire mesh with a paper element of the correct diameter, and swap in the mesh for judging.

Comment

Working...
                      X