Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Crankshaft hub stupid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankshaft hub stupid question

The holes in the crankshaft hub are not evenly spaced so that the flexure plate or flywheel will fit on "only one way".

Since the A/T converter can fit on the the flexure plate in any position and (except for the bolt holes) the stick shift flywheel is symmetrical ---
    Why did Studebaker make the crankshaft hub holes in a unique configuration?

There surely must be an incorrect statement in the above. (?)

Lark Parker aka Trim Trader
    sigpic
    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Do I get 20 points for a correct guess? Or a free ride in a new 2007 Studebaker SUV?

I think it is part of the anti-vibration system. Since the rubber anti-vibration pads are also off-set AND they are each different, one has more offset than the other but they do fit the special hole pattern that the dampener, the hub and the pads all share.

Also by having only one way to install the vibration dampener, it's balance can be kept correct.

Maybe they balanced the dampener as an assy. with the crank and the Converters or Flywheels were individually balanced so there is no need to "key" them to the crank!

I think this requires a more technical explanation from the "World's Most Wonderful Studebaker Mechanic"!!!LOL!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Since I have no idea as to the correct answer, and your answer does sound plausible, I will advance you ten points for having your hand up first. []

sigpic

Comment

No. the reason is that the timing marks are on the dampner, the offset holes guarantee the correct relationship with regards to cam timings.
        quote:Originally posted by Lark Parker

Since I have no idea as to the correct answer, and your answer does sound plausible, I will advance you ten points for having your hand up first. []

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
        57 SH (project)
        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
        53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
        57 SH (project)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rusty nut garage

No. the reason is that the timing marks are on the dampner, the offset holes guarantee the correct relationship with regards to cam timings.

57 SH (project)
          Nice try, but we are discussing the other end of the crankshaft.
          However, I will award two points for the contribution.[]

sigpic

Comment

Thanks that probably the only 2 points I'll get all day. In fac if today is normal I'll be in the whole in points by the end of the day[^]

quote:Originally posted by rusty nut garage

57 SH (project)
            Nice try, but we are discussing the other end of the crankshaft.
            However, I will award two points for the contribution.[]

57 SH (project)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
            57 SH (project)

Comment

Well, I won't even TRY for points on this. (Besides, I've switched to Pertronics units anyway!), but I DO have to say I kept wondering - thru the "answers" tendered so far, when they were gonna tie themselves to the question Mr. Parker had posed.[}]
              My "guess" is this.... As far as a torque convertor goes, it doesn't matter. For a flywheel however, it would matter. Why? Might I quote the shop manual: "One hole is offset so that the flywheel can only be installed in one position, thereby maintaining the original balance of the crankshaft [assembly]. (brackets are mine, to point out the word "assembly" - which in my mind means they balanced the crank AND flywheel together.
              As to the why on an automatic car??? One crank (as in replacement crankshaft) fits all instead of having cranks for auto-equipped cars and cranks for standard shift cars. Unlike AMC did with some of their 6cyl engines.[8]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Well, I won't even TRY for points on this. (Besides, I've switched to Pertronics units anyway!), but I DO have to say I kept wondering - thru the "answers" tendered so far, when they were gonna tie themselves to the question Mr. Parker had posed.[}]
                My "guess" is this.... As far as a torque convertor goes, it doesn't matter. For a flywheel however, it would matter. Why? Might I quote the shop manual: "One hole is offset so that the flywheel can only be installed in one position, thereby maintaining the original balance of the crankshaft [assembly]. (brackets are mine, to point out the word "assembly" - which in my mind means they balanced the crank AND flywheel together.
                As to the why on an automatic car??? One crank (as in replacement crankshaft) fits all instead of having cranks for auto-equipped cars and cranks for standard shift cars. Unlike AMC did with some of their 6cyl engines.[8]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle
                [img]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                You are awarded 3.14159265358979 points for addressing the specific question and, further, looking it up in the shop manual. (I wish I'd thought of that.) []

Perhaps those of us that really care for our Studebakers need to have the whole assembly balanced whenever we replace a flywheel? [^]

We need someone to go first. Fifty points will be awarded.

sigpic

Comment

I confess, I've never worried beyond having a crank OR flywheel balanced seperately (and, yes, I know there's advantages for doing them together - or so I've been told)
                  I wish now that I'd had Pete's "new" crank and intended flywheel balanced together, but for both items, I never foresaw them "coming together" to ultimately serve in the truck!
                  The engine was built as a spare for whatever and the flywheel is the one that's served in Pete for years. It's one that came out of a truck I parted out years ago, so it's not served with it's "partner" crankshaft in a long time.

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

OK Lark, Biggs is right. I tend to go with my understanding of the NOMENCLATURE used in the question, ie: "Crankshaft Hub" so naturally I went off on vibration dampeners, because the common AND "Studebaker" term for the front vibration dampener mounting hub is "Crankshaft HUB"! I never heard of the rear crank flange being called a "HUB". So of course I thought you were comparing the front of the crank to the rear, and I did forget that the rear bolt pattern IS NOT symmetrical just like I knew the front one is.

Bottom line, I misunderstood completely, all because of that little word "HUB"! ...DAH!

Looks like I get a -20 points...darn!

Well, hey whatda ya expect!..."Crankshaft Hub Stupid Question" ya got a "Stupid" answer! LOL!

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

OK Lark, Biggs is right. I tend to go with my understanding of the NOMENCLATURE used in the question, ie: "Crankshaft Hub" so naturally I went off on vibration dampeners, because the common AND "Studebaker" term for the front vibration dampener mounting hub is "Crankshaft HUB"! I never heard of the rear crank flange being called a "HUB". So of course I thought you were comparing the front of the crank to the rear, and I did forget that the rear bolt pattern IS NOT symmetrical just like I knew the front one is.

Bottom line, I misunderstood completely, all because of that little word "HUB"! ...DAH!

Looks like I get a -20 points...darn!

Well, hey whatda ya expect!..."Crankshaft Hub Stupid Question" ya got a "Stupid" answer! LOL!

StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      I can remain blameless and almost immaculate because I included my standard disclaimer about "incorrect statement in the above". And I did spend some time mentioning the flywheel, flex plate and A/T converter.

sigpic

Comment

And I thought it all depended on what color anti freeze was installed...
                        Lark Parker... You are a devious sort this week[}]
                        Jeff[8D]
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Interesting you should mention antifreeze.

It's very possible that the Canadian and Los Angeles Studebakers used a different color from the pink that was correct for the South Bend cars.

sigpic

Comment

How terrible!![xx(] You mean they didn't use SP tested & approved anti-freeze?

Well Lark; you find us one car of each of the 3 with the ORIGINAL fluid and we'll take samples and test it, that's easy!

StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich

Comment

There is another side to this. It used to be that timing marks were on the flywheel because there wasn't any vibration damper. To keep the timing mark in the right place the flywheel could only be mounted in one position.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X