Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

do these brake shoes fit a Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do these brake shoes fit a Studebaker?

I have a set of relined brake shoes that I think may fit a Studebaker (see link below for photo). They don't fit any of mine. First, I am curious; what do they fit? Second, I'll give them to whomever wants them and will pay for shipping. They are either new or have new lining. There are no identifiying numbers on them that I can see.

Dale

http://www.albumtown.com/showalbum.p...id=42679&var=1

They look to me like Chrysler product brakes of the 50s era. If I recall correctly, there were 9, 10 and 11 inch versions. The eccentric bolt for adjustment went through that large hole. You can't just walk into NAPA or anywhere and buy them anymore. I'm sure some Mopar enthusiast would be happy to have them.

Comment

Prewar Studes used this style as well. As Blue says, there's a cam that fits into that big hole and it's turned (for adjustment) by the anchor pin that goes thru the square hole in the cam.
      Looking at my prewar parts book, these are sorta like the Stude shoes, but are a bit different at the top, where the hydraulic piston works.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Prewar Studes used this style as well. As Blue says, there's a cam that fits into that big hole and it's turned (for adjustment) by the anchor pin that goes thru the square hole in the cam.
        Looking at my prewar parts book, these are sorta like the Stude shoes, but are a bit different at the top, where the hydraulic piston works.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        Thanks guys. I wish I remembered where I got these. I would only have brought them home if I thought they fit a Studebaker, but that doesn't mean they do. The metal part of all 4 shoes is identical, but two have 10-inch lining and two have 9-1/2 inch lining. The color of the 10-inch lining is darker (redder) than that of the 9-1/2 inch lining so the composition may also be different. Not surprising as primary shoe is usually different from the secondary shoe. Maybe someone else will come up with additional information to solve this mystery. Dale

Comment

I've got a set of relined shoes that are similar to this out in the shop. A few years ago I bought a fella out that had owned Studes thru the years and had accumulated Stude stuff even if it didn't happen to fit his Studes. It seems I recall that the box containing the set I'm talking about says something about prewar applications. I'll have to see if I can find that box.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X