Engine-weight & gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine-weight & gearbox

I wonder how heavy the Studebaker engines flathead 6 & the V8 are, in standard form.
    & I also wonder what the weight of the 3-speed & o.d. is.
    Is there any easy answer or do most folx have their own opinions about it, like it loox when I try to google it?
    sigpic

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

There are a lot of questions there. The Stude V8 weighs around 685 lbs. including flywheel. The standard tranny weighs 70-75 lbs depending on the amount of oil. The T86 O.D. is about 90 lbs. The bellhousings are in the 35-50 lbs. range depending on pass. car or truck housings. These are ball park figures and can change by 5 lbs. just depending on how much dirt or crud build up is on them.

Comment

Yep, I see... I was thinking of clean stuff without dirt, original factory weight so to speak.
      Still, this was a nice & quick answer; thanks Alan!
      Now I only would like to know the weight of a side-valve six from the fifties.
      A lot of questions indeed!
      sigpic

Josephine
      Champion V8
      4d sedan

Comment

Well I weighed an extra T-9 I have without oil, bellhousing, or parking brake, and it came in at 97#.

Comment

Would a 3-speed + o.d. for a -55 flathead six have the same weight as a 3-speed + o.d. for a -55 o.h.V8?
          I prefer gearbox-with-bellhousing-weight if possible.
          sigpic

Josephine
          Champion V8
          4d sedan

Comment

The Champion transmission and bell housing are lighter than the Commander versions, because they are smaller. How much lighter is what i do not know.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

So still nobody knows what the weight of a side-valve 6 is...?
              sigpic

Josephine
              Champion V8
              4d sedan

Comment

& still not...?
                sigpic

Josephine
                Champion V8
                4d sedan

Comment

The 1939-60 169 cubic inch Champion flat head six complete with clutch, bell housing, and standard non-OD transmission weighs 455 pounds.

Comment

So a mid 50's six with gearbox is lighter than a V8 without gearbox?
                    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 10-19-2018, 10:46 AM.
                    sigpic

Josephine
                    Champion V8
                    4d sedan

Comment

Whether it's the big 6 or small 6 wasn't mentioned, and the same for the tranny with overdrive.
                      I have a small 6 and the overdrive tranny for it, but no easy way to get a weight for them.

Comment

It's about the -51 & later sidevalve sixes.
                        sigpic

Josephine
                        Champion V8
                        4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                          So a mid 50's six with gearbox is lighter than a V8 without gearbox? . . . . It's about the -51 & later sidevalve sixes.
                          Yes, both the Champion and the Commander sidevalve sixes were made up into the 1960s. And yes, both are considerably lighter than the V8.

One does not appreciate how compact the Champion is until it is installed in an early MG, taking not that much more room than the tiny 4-cylinder. Or when it's sitting beside the Packard V8 and it's no longer than the Packard block.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Yes, the Champion 6 six engine size is small, but the last time I moved mine I didn't think it was too light. Someday I'll have to find a way to weigh it.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                              Yes, the Champion 6 six engine size is small, but the last time I moved mine I didn't think it was too light. Someday I'll have to find a way to weigh it.
                              We move blocks every day. The Champion block is the lightest one we usually see. I'll try to remember to weigh a bare block, but it's not heavy.

It is well to remember the Champion was designed to be one of the lightest full-sized cars of its day. IIRC, it a key principle adhered to was the engineering watchword "weight is the enemy." it came in around 2300#.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X