Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    Okidoki, well this is only about passanger cars.

Leave a comment:

• TWChamp
    replied
    The 51 and later Commander 245 big 6 engine was used in trucks. The cars got the V8.

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    So Commander sidevalve sixes were made after -51? Did that mean you could order for example a -55 Commander with a six that was bigger than the Champion six?

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
    Yes, the Champion 6 six engine size is small, but the last time I moved mine I didn't think it was too light. Someday I'll have to find a way to weigh it.
    We move blocks every day. The Champion block is the lightest one we usually see. I'll try to remember to weigh a bare block, but it's not heavy.

It is well to remember the Champion was designed to be one of the lightest full-sized cars of its day. IIRC, it a key principle adhered to was the engineering watchword "weight is the enemy." it came in around 2300#.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• TWChamp
    replied
    Yes, the Champion 6 six engine size is small, but the last time I moved mine I didn't think it was too light. Someday I'll have to find a way to weigh it.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
    So a mid 50's six with gearbox is lighter than a V8 without gearbox? . . . . It's about the -51 & later sidevalve sixes.
    Yes, both the Champion and the Commander sidevalve sixes were made up into the 1960s. And yes, both are considerably lighter than the V8.

One does not appreciate how compact the Champion is until it is installed in an early MG, taking not that much more room than the tiny 4-cylinder. Or when it's sitting beside the Packard V8 and it's no longer than the Packard block.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    It's about the -51 & later sidevalve sixes.

Leave a comment:

• TWChamp
    replied
    Whether it's the big 6 or small 6 wasn't mentioned, and the same for the tranny with overdrive.
    I have a small 6 and the overdrive tranny for it, but no easy way to get a weight for them.

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    So a mid 50's six with gearbox is lighter than a V8 without gearbox?
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 10-19-2018, 10:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ChampionRuss
    replied
    The 1939-60 169 cubic inch Champion flat head six complete with clutch, bell housing, and standard non-OD transmission weighs 455 pounds.

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    & still not...?

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    So still nobody knows what the weight of a side-valve 6 is...?

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    The Champion transmission and bell housing are lighter than the Commander versions, because they are smaller. How much lighter is what i do not know.

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    Would a 3-speed + o.d. for a -55 flathead six have the same weight as a 3-speed + o.d. for a -55 o.h.V8?
    I prefer gearbox-with-bellhousing-weight if possible.

Leave a comment:

• Neal in NM
    replied
    Well I weighed an extra T-9 I have without oil, bellhousing, or parking brake, and it came in at 97#.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X