Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T-86 3 spd common leak areas? Now W/pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-86 3 spd common leak areas? Now W/pics!

OK, lets just say that you have this T86 3 spd that you hate for many
    different reasons, and you have already spent 800 dollars a few years
    back for a rebuild, clutch and such for it .. now, since you have been
    under the car for the last 8 months you have noticed its ALWAYS got a
    drip/drop of oil coming off of it .....

What are the simple things you can do to slow/stop the leak without
    spending more than 10 bucks on it? Anyplace to retorque? Some place
    I should look at? I am considering one of those sealer additives, I
    have had reasonable success with them for engine/auto trans seals.

Thoughts?

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

quote:What are the simple things you can do to slow/stop the leak without spending more than 10 bucks on it? Anyplace to retorque? Some place I should look at?
    Tom - I don't think there is anything you can just tighten. These small leaks are usually due to worn seals on the shift levers or a bad seal on the output shaft at the rear of the transmission. Dale

Comment

A leaky seal, especially one that has recently been replaced, can actually be a sign of a bearing(or bushing) that is worn out. The seal can't quite control the oil as it should, because of excessive movement in the shaft. Also, what about your fluid levels? Are they too high, and causing oil to be thrown around violently inside the case?

Comment

Honestly I dont even know where you add fluid to this trans. I havent
        had any interest in learning about it since its going to the dump as
        soon as I put the T56 in the car. I am just tired of the leaks. I
        will find the fill hole (unless someone wants to point me in the right
        direction) and add some seal restorer. Its got maybe 500 miles on it
        since the rebuild.

How many sticks of dynamite you think it will take to blow it up?

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Comment

If I was closer I'd be glad to take it off your hands- no dynamite needed!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

It has two, square-head plugs on it's pass. side. The upper one is the fill place. Fill it til it starts to piddle back out.[}]

While dynamite would be satisfying, I'd opt for a sledge. DHS takes a dim view of exploding car parts of late and you might find you'd have to hock your Avanti to help pay for your defense lawyers.[B)]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Not real sure why you are so down on the T-86, but two additional suggestions.

1) There is a vent up high on the trans case. If clogged, the added pressure WILL encourage leaking in all sorts of odd places.

2) The OD solenoid shaft should have a little bitty metal/rubber/spring seal up in the trans housing. These often go bad and/or missing over time. If the leaking is from the solenoid drain hole, you can either replace the seal, or there may even be room to install 2 seals in opposite directions.

Oh, you can also try to snug up the bolts that hold the OD case via the one inch thick block that the solenoid fits into, and onto the rear of the trans case.

By the way, isn't that T-86 a little puny to be behind that big time engine of yours? Even if it has the straight cut first gear, I'd think you are on borrowed time. A friend of mine went thru a lot of T-86's behind his stock 289, until he wised up and went with a T-85.

Comment

Tom, While you are under the car taking pictures, take one or 2 of the transmission side where the shift rods go through into the trans. Also of the trans to bell housing mating area. I can't see how you are the only person that has a rare T-86 in an Avanti, when they were never an option.

Comment

From what I have read (and I was surprised myself) the BASE trans for
                    the Avanti was a 3 spd manual, the T-86. This is the trans that made
                    the base R1 so darn slow in Motor Trend articles. Unless its a T-85,
                    that was the base trans, but I have read "T-86".

It has no OD.

"There will be a choice of three transmission systems. The standard manual gearbox is a three-speed Warner T-86 with a 3.31 to 1 final drive ratio. One option is the Warner T-10A with a 3.73 to 1 final drive ratio. This is a four-speed box with fairly wide ratios; the other option is a Borg-Warner automatic transmission."

Tom

quote:Originally posted by Alan

Tom, While you are under the car taking pictures, take one or 2 of the transmission side where the shift rods go through into the trans. Also of the trans to bell housing mating area. I can't see how you are the only person that has a rare T-86 in an Avanti, when they were never an option.

Comment

[)] Humor me[)] Take some pics.

Comment

I will after the wifes surgery tomorrow, when shes sleeping. Its back
                        down on its tires again (which are low - BTW[B)]), so I have to jack it
                        back up in the air to take the pictures.

Tom

quote:Originally posted by Alan

[)] Humor me[)] Take some pics.

Comment

Sorry to have assumed you had an OD transmission. With a straight 3 spd, I understand your desire to change it out. Leakwise tho,I'll still stick with my suggestion regarding the gear case vent.

I'm at work, and can't do the research, but my memory was that the Avanti base trans was a non OD T-85. This kinda makes sense, as the T-85 was used behind supercharged 289's in the 1950's. Also, (and I may be thinking of OD cases again) I think there are a couple of different (and confusing) numbers on the trans. Something like one "T" number on the shifter cover and another "T" number on the trans case.

Finally,speaking of shifter covers, aren't T-86's top loaders and T-85's side loaders? If so that is an easy way to determine what's in yours. Seems as if there has been question in Turning Wheels thru the years as to whether Studebaker ever really sold one with a straight 3 spd? Maybe you have the ONE!

Comment

Part of my apprehension in swapping it out, BUT since I hate driving
                            it with the current trans, it makes sense to dump it. The linkage is
                            most definately on the side - two separate rods. I took pictures in
                            the garage just a few minutes ago and will post them later. I need to
                            get the car out of the garage. Curious. Is there an access in the
                            floor to get to the drain/fill plug or do you have to magically pour
                            the additive against the pull of gravity? I dont have an Avanti only
                            manual, but my Hawk had a floor door.

The trans is leaking WHILE sitting in the garage, so I dont think its
                            a venting issue. Thats why I was thinking bolt or something. There
                            is a pool of goop on the floor JUST to the back of the bellhousing. I
                            would assume its a front seal, but would that leak while undriven??

Tom

quote:Originally posted by skyway
                            Finally,speaking of shifter covers, aren't T-86's top loaders and T-85's side loaders? If so that is an easy way to determine what's in yours. Seems as if there has been question in Turning Wheels thru the years as to whether Studebaker ever really sold one with a straight 3 spd? Maybe you have the ONE!

Comment

Ok, I'll stop harping on the plugged vent idea. Seems to me that it would not leak while sitting unless its already over filled.

Don't have enough time under Avanti floors to know about access
                              panels, but I do know it sure is crowded up in the trans tunnel. My usual tool for filling manual tranmissions is a suction gun with hose attached.

Comment

Working...
                              X