Piston 'Oil' Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Piston 'Oil' Rings

Wondered if anyone else has had problems with the install of the 'newer style' one-piece
    oil ring (with internal expander), as opposed to the traditional multi-piece oil ring with
    center insert an upper and lower side rails?

I thought the one piece oil ring with an internal expander was an old style part. All of the ring sets I've used in the past 40 years are the 3 piece type. Bud

Comment

To: Bud,-----I know what You mean. I thought the 3 piece was 'it' until a few weeks ago. (Except, I'm told, for some racing applications)

Comment

I'll have to call my engine parts supplier tomorrow to investigate this, I'll post what they tell me. Bud

Comment

To: Bud,------ Thanks, because I know some of our vendors are selling this 'one piece with expander' style now. (Had problems with 289 overhaul this past May) Maybe I just had a bad day?

Comment

The Studebaker V8 SAE paper (1950?) refers to an expander behind the oil ring suggesting the main ring is a one piece design. The 59-64 shop manual appears to use a similar design.

Chevy's 1955 SAE paper about developing their new (short stroke) V8 includes a section about high oil use at high vacuum conditions being related to axial oil ring clearance, and that it improved dramatically when the oil ring was changed to the 3 piece axially loaded design. A very similar story exists, reportedly by a participating factory engineer, about when the (long stroke) Dodge slant six engine was being developed.
            In the various 3 piece designs I have used the springy expander pushes the rails against the sides of the groove (zero clerance) as well as outward.

Comment

To: Dan Timberlake,----- Yes, in the future I'll avoid using that 'one piece' style oil ring. Thanks

Comment

How about these rings?
                Seems lower oil consumption, and friction are a good thing.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

To: bezhawk,----The fifth paragraph of that F-M text confuses Me, as all recent piston ring sets that I've seen have the step on the inside of the compression rings (sometimes just one, sometimes both).
                  As I read the text, it sounds to Me like they are saying the 'step' or 'bevel' is their 'new' idea. What do You think? (Are they saying their oil rings are beveled on they're inside surface?)

Comment

Looks like the LKZ is a one piece with thinned contact faces.

The one piece style may be popular for big trucks. I just don't know. I'd wonder how the friction and oil consumption compare to my favorite, Sealed Power SS-50U.

Volvo 4 cylinder engines of the 80s and 90s have low oil consumption even at mileages > 200,000 miles. The Volvo manual I have shows a 1 piece oil ring, so I guess it can be done. There is more to oil control than just oil ring style, but

Some builders of european engines swear by Deves rings. I believe some of their OEM rings come with a one piece style, but their web page makes it sound like a 3 piece design is standard.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                      To: bezhawk,----The fifth paragraph of that F-M text confuses Me, as all recent piston ring sets that I've seen have the step on the inside of the compression rings (sometimes just one, sometimes both).
                      As I read the text, it sounds to Me like they are saying the 'step' or 'bevel' is their 'new' idea. What do You think? (Are they saying their oil rings are beveled on they're inside surface?)
                      Ed, sorry, I couldn't tell you. I've never used them. Just passing along information.
                      They look promising enough to try on my next rebuild.
                      Along with a roller cam, and 2mm rings, should make for a fast revving combination.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I contacted my engine parts supplier/machine shop to inquire about the 1 piece oil rings. According to them the 1 piece ring is an old design and no longer used for rebuilding engines. They say it's possible that someone has a supply of the earlier ring sets that they are selling. The exception are the Deves rings that are used in some foreign engines. Bud

Comment

To: Bud,--------All I can say is that's interesting news. Thank You for looking into this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                            I contacted my engine parts supplier/machine shop to inquire about the 1 piece oil rings. According to them the 1 piece ring is an old design and no longer used for rebuilding engines. They say it's possible that someone has a supply of the earlier ring sets that they are selling. The exception are the Deves rings that are used in some foreign engines. Bud
                            I do recall very clearly that back in the Day in 1964 when I built the racing 299 engine for my Starliner H/T Street/Strip car, that my Jahns racing piston Mfg. only recommended Grant cast iron, one piece oil rings for their excessive running clearance racing pistons and both are still in there. With maybe .005 -.006 clearance I can see why you would want a firmer more stable Oil Ring. For a "Street" Engine not so much.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

To: StudeRich,---- Yes, it was mentioned to Me that one-piece oil rings are used for some racing applications. Once again, these are being sold now, and it may not hurt to ask exactly what's being sent out.

Comment

Working...
                              X