Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Avanti R2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti R2

I just purchased an Avanti from a nice old gent who told me the car was as good mechically as it is body wise. Well it seems he never drove it and just worked on the body, excellent job by the way.
    The engine has been a night mare and I am at my wits end.
    Here is what it is doing: It started out bucking when I was driving both on excereation and at constant speed. Now it is sputtering and losing power after it gets hot, to the point that after a half hour I car barely moves, as if it was flooding on starving for fuel, not sure which.

This is what I have done so far, Replaced the wrong fuel pump with an R2 pump from Stude Intern. The car had a smaller pump with an elec pump backing it up(now by passed) All fuel lines now 3/8 not 5/16 as last 1 was reduced too. The tank return line was not retricted and now is, homemade 40 thou restriction. Purchased a new electronic distr from Dave Thibault and installed. Carb was taken apart and proper R2 jets installed and 1 odd float replaced with proper float, other float was original. Grey smoke comes out of the exhaust.
    Love the car hate the problems, we only have a few months of great weather and I am missing it.

Lost and frustrated
    Ted

Sounds like a head gasket, or cracked head or block. Are you losing any coolant ?

JDP/Maryland
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    64 GT R2
    63 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Are we talking clouds of smoke or a little bit? Have you checked the timing? Compression? Is the heat riser working properly, not installed backwards? When you say proper R2 jets were installed, was this done by someone familiar with sealed AFB carbs?

Tim K.
      '64 R2 GT Hawk
      Tim K.
      \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

The Jets were installed by a gent here with an R2 and they matched the Avanti parts book numbers. As for the timing yes it has been checked and set, no comprssion test done as yet. Smoke more than a little bit, not losing coolant, temp runs at 180 even. Not sure about heat riser.

quote:Originally posted by GTtim

Are we talking clouds of smoke or a little bit? Have you checked the timing? Compression? Is the heat riser working properly, not installed backwards? When you say proper R2 jets were installed, was this done by someone familiar with sealed AFB carbs?

Tim K.
        '64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

I just checked and the coolant is low, filled top resevoir but will not be able to tell if the level drops until I run it again.

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Sounds like a head gasket, or cracked head or block. Are you losing any coolant ?

JDP/Maryland
          64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
          64 GT R2
          63 GT R2
          63 Lark 2 door
          59 3E truck
          58 Starlight
          52 & 53 Starliner
          51 Commander

Comment

Did you replace points and condenser? Also, does it have the later style R2 air cleaner housing with the rectangular opening? if so, if your car has an underhood pad it could be choking the air flow if it is a little loose and gets sucked into the air opening.

Ernie R

Comment

White smoke is almost always coolant. Pull the spark plugs one at a time and look at the end. If one of them is wet, and cleaner than the others, that cylinder has a leak from the coolant somewhere. If two adjacent plugs are in that condition, you most likely have a head gasket blown between them, or a cracked head. A compression check would be the next step, the actual pressure isn't that important, as long as the numbers are within 10%-15% of each other. If one or two of them are lower by more than that, those are probably your problem cylinders. Don't run it in this condition, you will only make it worse. Drain your oil and see if it has a milky look to it. Most anything but a cracked block can be fixed, a cracked block can be fixed also, but it is still easier to replace it. SASCO has NOS heads, head gaskets and other engine gaskets are cheap and available.

Comment

I didn't catch the electronic distributor... but even though leaking coolant will cause a lot of smoke and isn't a good condition to drive with I've never see it cause a car to die unless the car is getting so hot that the motor is on the verge of seizing. A crack or a bad head gasket usually effects no more than two cylinders. Bad idle, poor acceleration but bucking to the point of not moving?

Is the blower on the car?

ErnieR

Comment

Could be hydraulic lock or simply superheated steam causing the misfire.

JDP/Maryland
                  64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                  64 GT R2
                  63 GT R2
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  59 3E truck
                  58 Starlight
                  52 & 53 Starliner
                  51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I pulled the plugs and changed them, they were all wet and black, put in new ones and did not make a difference. My wife who followed me home yesterday after the work was done, told me white smoke but today when I ask her she tells me the smoke was more dark gray and mostly out of the drivers side. I do have a manifold leak on the drivers side.There is no coolant in the oil, but the oil is turning dark very quickly, I believe it is fuel contaminated.
                    Please keep the thoughts and questions coming, it is really helping me work throught this. Have a freind coming over tommorrow with a compression guage and a R2 carb that is working very well on his R2 Lark, will switch and see if that makes a differance. Any other thoughts?

Comment

The blower is on the car, when the car is cool it idles well and has power, as the car is driven it starts to stamer and lose power as if it were constantly flooding. These are just quess's.
                      Thanks Ted

quote:Originally posted by bige

I didn't catch the electronic distributor... but even though leaking coolant will cause a lot of smoke and isn't a good condition to drive with I've never see it cause a car to die unless the car is getting so hot that the motor is on the verge of seizing. A crack or a bad head gasket usually effects no more than two cylinders. Bad idle, poor acceleration but bucking to the point of not moving?

Is the blower on the car?

ErnieR

Comment

My thought is; it is probably NOT the Carb. If it was bad, you would have Black/Brown smoke from both pipes and it does not explain the left side problems. More likely the compression test will show low cylinders on the left, meaning warped or cracked head, bad gasket, poorly torqued head bolts, and loss of coolant etc.

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

What would make all the plugs wet and black?

Comment

Has it been doing this ever since the carb was rebuilt? If so, that is where I would look. Floats set too high, metering rods not dropping to the economy position or something like that.

Tim K.
                            '64 R2 GT Hawk
                            Tim K.
                            \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Too much fuel or not enough air. Choke may be closing off or carb is flooding. Can't see with the bonnet on. You could try taking the blower belts off and running the car sans the bonnet and watch for symptoms.

Hydraulic lock will stop you but it wouldn't go away by itself.

Maybe the choke therm is mounted such that it's causing the choke to close rather than open when the car warms up. You need to see what's going on in the carb throat when the car starts to act up.

Raw gas will burn almost black smoke but as it washes the oil off the cylinder walls it can be blue gray, water is white and billowy with a strong smell of hot coolant. Water in the cylinders will clean a plug or turn it white. You may be seeing more smoke out of the driver's side simply becase of a slow acting or sticky heat riser. I don't think you have a gasket or warpage issue, at least I'm pulling for you that you don't.

ErnieR

Comment

Working...
                              X