Supercharger belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Supercharger belt

I'm trying to install belt on my Packard Hawk.I've pushed tensioner pulley towards the SC and don't have enough belt to get it around the pulley. I seem to be about 2 inches short. Whats the trick. Original belt looked great so I am reusing it.
    sigpic

Packardbakerly,
    J.D.

Originally posted by RareBird View Post
    I'm trying to install belt on my Packard Hawk.I've pushed tensioner pulley towards the SC and don't have enough belt to get it around the pulley. I seem to be about 2 inches short. Whats the trick. Original belt looked great so I am reusing it.
    Push harder! I use an 18" mechanics prybar and wedge it where you will get the arm to move and slip the belt over the pulley saving my fingers from getting pinched

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Be sure the inner, movable pulley half of the variable speed supercharger is all the way back toward the supercharger housing, so the blower belt is as low in the supercharger pulley as possible.

You may be trying to install the belt while it is riding high in the variable-speed pulley, and that can be darn near impossible. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Can I just put 12 volts to the soleinod to open it up? I beleive that is what the problem is - it's not opened up.
        sigpic

Packardbakerly,
        J.D.

Comment

No, putting 12 volts to the solenoid will not open it up. The engine must be running for the system to work that way.

You should be able to push the movable pulley half back by hand with the engine off, and quickly get the belt to the bottom of the groove.

It will be a bit difficult, but if you can't at all, there's something wrong with the supercharger. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Gonna give it a shot after work.
            sigpic

Packardbakerly,
            J.D.

Comment

Success!! By opening the clutch pulley and recruiting my neighbor, it went on without a hitch.
              Thanks again!
              sigpic

Packardbakerly,
              J.D.

Comment

Working...
              X