Hurst 'Synchro Lock' Floor Shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Hurst 'Synchro Lock' Floor Shifter

Years ago the Hurst folks sold a high quality 3-speed shifter called the 'Synchro Lock'. With this
    shifter, there was no perceptible 'H' pattern. First to second shift was in a straight line, although
    a loud 'click' could be heard from the shifting mechanism. It really was a pleasure to use.
    Although I'm reluctant to modify My car, If I could find one of these, I think I might go for it!
    I HATE the column shift.
    PS- I don't believe these are manufactured anymore, so I'd be looking for a good used. The last car I had this particular shifter in was a '56 GH T-85 3 spd o/d. Now I'd be using it on a T-86 3 spd o/d.

Anyone remember these?

I have an old Fenton 500 three speed floor shift that was on a T-86 I had. Are you going to make it to SB? I'll bring it if you still need it. The shift rods are not too good looking, but they're there.
    They pop up on Ebay from time to time.
    Last edited by bezhawk; 05-20-2012, 11:37 AM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I had one of those too. Out of curiosity I did a search on EBay and there are quite a few different Hurst shifters listed, including Synchro-Locs. Not sure which would fit your application but it's worth a look. Also a great post started by our own PackardV8 on the HAMB with good info and scans of the installation sheets.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=428340
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Yes, agree, I also don't care for column shifters and agree the Hurst Dual Pattern with Syncro/Loc is maybe the best floor shift conversion ever.

No, they haven't been manufactured for maybe thirty years now.

Yes, Pat, thanks for remembering I used one on the T89 going behind the Packard V8 in my '55 E12 pickup.

It can be a lot of work, but worth the effort. I highly recommend removing the transmission and doing any rod and bracket fabrication on the bench. Even if one can locate a shifter, making the shifter arms and the bracket for whatever your application can be challenging, because on the T86 w/overdrive, the overdrive solenoid is often in the way of where the shifter rod wants to be.

Maybe, you'll be fortunate enough to find a Syncro/Loc. The going rate is $50-100 depending on how complete and condition. Try to find one with the basic bracket which locates the shifter to the transmission. Good luck.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

To: bezhawk,---- Thanks for offering up the Fenton, I remember that name, but never owned one. I think I'll continue to look for this particular Hurst shifter for now though. (S.B. is still a maybe)

Comment

To: Pat Dilling & PackardV8,------ Thanks for all the Hurst info. I completely forgot it was called a 'Dual pattern with Synchro Lock' Shifter. And that business about the removable pin comes back to Me now.
            I'll definitely browse e-bay.

Comment

The unique feature of the Hurst 'Synchro Lock' was a flat spring leaf that fit into a detent on the first and reverse lever on the backside of the shifter assembly. It helped stop the heavy first and reverse sliding gear in neurtral, on first to second shifts. Proper installation was also supposed to include fitting an interlock pin in the transmission side cover. This would positively prevent the second and third synchoniser sleeve from moving unless the first and reverse gear was in neutral. You can make your own from drill rod, cut and stoned to fit. Of course that involves removing the transmission side cover and taking it apart.
              I remember the "Dual Pattern" Hurst's, that could be converted to stright line shifting from first to second by removing a pin; but I never owned one.
              I looked up the patents from numbers on my Avanti's "Competition Plus" and found a good explanation of the stright line shifting that was optional on those. It was intended for drag racing; and made the second to third shift a stright line, with no neutral gate. There's kind of a button inside the shifter assembly with one side beveled, to make it work like that. Mine is the sports car version, with a neutral gate. It could be easily converted. As I remember, all T-10's had an interlock pin; but you could make it safer by making your own, to fit.
              The patent information includes exploded drawings of the shifter assembly itself, not just the parts in the conversion kit. There's alot of good information there, written by the people who designed the shifters.
              Mike M.

Comment

My 63 Hawk has a 3 speed O/D with a hurst Syncro Loc on it. My intentions are to put in a GM 200R4 in the future. Unfortunately, I won't get to that until we make our move to Florida. After I get the trans changed, this shifter will be available along with the OD trans. I'm guessing that will be sometime next year, so I'll keep you in mind, that is if you can wait that long. B.V.

Comment

To: bill van alstyne,---- Yes, definitely keep Me in mind on that. I'd be interested in buying that Hurst shifter and the t-86 trans. Getting up the courage to chop the floor will probably take a while anyway! Thanks

Comment

I'll definitely keep you in mind, right now we are finishing sprucing up the house to get it on the market. Florida is calling loudly. B.V.

Comment

Is the basic shifter portion of the Syncro/Loc the same, and just the installation kits different between various transmissions? In other words, for a T-85/T-89 installation like Jack did, where a custom bracket has to be made anyway, will any Syncro/Loc shifter work? Or are the basic shifters different between GM, Ford, AMC, etc trannys??
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

To: r1lark,----- I would bet the basic shifter mechanism would all be the same, with different install kits and shift rods (and levers)

Comment

I would bet the basic shifter mechanism would all be the same, with different install kits and shift rods (and levers)
                          Correct. The basic shifter mechanism is universal. The brackets, rods, levers and handles are specific to application.

FWIW, building your own brackets, rods and levers are more persnickity than might appear at first glance. Get as much of the complete kit as you can. Also, Hurst charges quite a bit for all the little bushings, clips and levers if bought one piece at a time.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                          X