Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-oiling a 289 - should oil be visible on top end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Pre-oiling a 289 - should oil be visible on top end?

Hi Guys
    I check for threads on this answer but couldn't find any. I'm priming the oil pump and I do have oil pressure. I took a valve cover off but don't see any oil coming to the top end. I'm used to GM's which you can see oil coming to the top, but I don't know if Studes are the same.

So the question, should I see oil on the top end?
    Thank you
    Harvey

The answer is yes, you should see oil, but it takes a while. You have to fill up the rocker arm shafts and then you will see oil come out of the rocker arms. If it is a partial flow engine, you have to fill the filter canister too.
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Comment

Please help me with "fill up the rocker shafts". Do I need to remove them? Secondly, the little flex hose coming of the rear of the right cylinder head has oil coming to it. I presume this flex line connects to the mechanical oil pressure gauge metal line. (My dash is out, so I don't know for sure). So it would seem that there is oil getting up to the cylinder head. Thanks

Comment

No need to remove the shafts. If you block the flex line and prime the system some more, you will probably see oil at the rockers.
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

It takes a good 1/2" drill to prime the engine. I used a piece of 3/8 round stock about 14" long with tongue ground into it to insert in the pump. When the drill starts to torque up and slow down you will build enough pressure and see oil at the top end through the rockers and lots of it.

Allen
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
            It takes a good 1/2" drill to prime the engine. I used a piece of 3/8 round stock about 14" long with tongue ground into it to insert in the pump. When the drill starts to torque up and slow down you will build enough pressure and see oil at the top end through the rockers and lots of it.

Allen
            That is probably the problem. I was running the variable drill at a slow speed so I will ramp it up tomorrow and post the result. Reverse drill right?

Comment

You better get a bigger drill than a variable speed, When the torque builds from the oil pressure you will burn the electronics of that variable speed drill out in no time. You actually need a drill big enough to whip a big tub of drywall mud or tile setting compound with a big paddle.

The oil will be dispersed throughout all of the journals, oil filter and valve train and will drain back through the holes in the heads. It takes a BIG drill.

As for the direction, I don't remember.

Allen
              1964 GT Hawk
              PSMCDR 2014
              Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
              PSMCDR 2013
              Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Studebaker oil pumps run in a counter clockwise direction. If the rocker arms are assembled correctly, you should see oil coming out after about 45 seconds of running the pump. If you don't, there is a problem somewhere in the lube system. Bud

Comment

Strange no one's mentioned.....to fill all of the passages, you NEED to rotate the crankshaft. You can do a little ata time or have someone help you. One keeps the motor going (high torque, but need speed also) and "slowly" turns the crankshaft. Slowly....maybe 45 seconds for one full rotation.

Otherwise, oil will "not" get everywhere it needs to be.

Mike
                  Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 05-22-2012, 06:12 AM.

Comment

If the rocker arm shafts are not on the correct way you will not get any oil into the rocker arm shafts. Not a good thing.
                    David L

Comment

Last one I spun, was with a WalMart 18 volt battery powered drill. I have also spun them with a 1/2" drive speeder wrench, by hand, but it takes a little longer; speedy RPM is not that important. If it takes mega-torque to spin it there might be a problem with oil circulation, or the oil may be too thick.

Oil should come out around each of the rockers, sufficient to run over the edge and down the side of the block.
                      Just my two cents.

Comment

Working...
                      X