Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reo28
    replied
    Hi Randy, another easy and inexpensive way to go 'electronic' is to get a Pazon Energy Booster, points assisted electronic igniton unit. It simply uses the points as a low current switch so they no longer burn out and the point gap is not as critical. I have had one fitted to my 1936 Packard 120B convertible coupe straight 8 engine for a couple of years and have not messed with the points since. It runs great. Last week my '59 Silver Hawk stalled on me in busy traffic, and by flicking the points I got it going again, so I am going to clean the points and fit one of these Pazon Energy Boosters. You can hid the unit low on the firewall so everything looks original and the big news it is low cost. Price is NZ$113.12 which converts to approx' US$85 with free delivery worldwide for orders over NZ$100 (which this is!). here is the link to their website: http://www.pazon.com/ignition/energy-booster-ignitions/
    These are made in NZ for bikes and cars and I know of a number of people who have fitted them to many different types of cars from Model As to Mustangs. Have a look. Cheers Mal (Auckland, New Zealand)

Leave a comment:

• Xcrbudman
    replied
    As Frank stated there isn't a Petronix for the single point Prestolite. I had Bud (Harry Alenik) rebuild my Prestolite Distributor, going on advice from others on this forum. It was totaly worn out and required replacement of most parts. It works like new in my 63 Champ and was well worth the $225 spent for the rebuild to keep it original.

Leave a comment:

• 41 Frank
    replied
    To my knowledge they only make them for the dual point Prestolite. That is why everyone with a single point Prestolite is looking for a Delco unit to convert to Pertronix.
    Originally posted by Neal in NM View Post
    Looking in the pertronix catalog, they list a #1548 to fit all Studebaker V8s with a Prestolite distributor. If it is not listed then call them, they carry a lot more than what is listed in the catalog. Neal

Leave a comment:

• Neal in NM
    replied
    Looking in the pertronix catalog, they list a #1548 to fit all Studebaker V8s with a Prestolite distributor. If it is not listed then call them, they carry a lot more than what is listed in the catalog. Neal

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
    No Pertronix available for single point Prestolite distributors.

Leave a comment:

• 41 Frank
    replied
    No Pertronix available for single point Prestolite distributors.
    Originally posted by Neal in NM View Post
    Why not just get a Pertonix for the Prestolite distributor you all ready have? Neal

Leave a comment:

• Neal in NM
    replied
    Why not just get a Pertonix for the Prestolite distributor you all ready have? Neal

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    replied
    Here you go:
    STUDEDAVE@aol.com
    Originally posted by Randy_G View Post
    Sounds like a great idea, who might have his contact information.

Leave a comment:

• Randy_G
    replied
    Thanks for the info..

Leave a comment:

• 41 Frank
    replied
    His contact info is usually in Turning Wheels on the business card file page. phone 978 897-3158, no e-mail Be prepared to spent at least $300.00, I did. While it is a good unit, it is pricey.

Originally posted by Randy_G View Post
    Last edited by 41 Frank; 05-18-2012, 02:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Randy_G
    replied
    Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
    Why not just pick up one of Dave T-Bows new Mallory distributors? It's literally a plug & play!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• bowhawk
    replied
    Yea what 52 Ragtop said!
    That's what mine is.

Leave a comment:

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    Why not just pick up one of Dave T-Bows new Mallory distributors? It's literally a plug & play!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• bowhawk
    replied
    I know it’s blasphemy but I wouldn’t trade my electronic distributor for a year’s supply of magic beans.

Leave a comment:

• 64V-K7
    replied
    The standard Stude Delco # is 1110864. Drops right in.... If you find one that has a 'Dyna-Glyde" advance plate, you have to remove it and replace it with a standard plate or else the Pertronix won't fit correctly. The Dyna-Glyde plates were aftermarket ball bearing spark advance plates that probably did improve things, but.....
    There is also a Delco window unit (number ?) generally a bit hard to find. There's a sliding window on the cap that allows you to set the point gap/dwell while the engine is running.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Van Veghten
    replied
    Straight across swap.
    Unhook the wiring, pull the Prestolite out, set the replacement Delco in place, reconnect the wiring (primary and secondary wiring).

New cap, rotor and wires...while not a "must", is a good idea.

Mike

Leave a comment:

Working...
X