Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

weight of engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weight of engines

Hello everyone!

One simple question.
    Does anyone know the accurate weight of champion 6 engines
    and studebaker V8 engines --259 or 289???

Dan

Dan, The answer is not simple. The 259-289 will tip the scales around 650 lbs. + or - 30 lbs depending on accessories. For the 6 you will have to wait for someone that is more familiar with them than myself to reply.

Comment

Hi, DWard,

A 1956 Studebaker 259" 2-bbl, manual bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, generator, starter, air cleaner, ready to run, but NO power steering weighed 695#.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

A former post listed the chanpion six engine at 403.4 pounds and
        the "63" OHV six at 504 pounds with clutch.
        The 1950 Champion Starlight
        Santa Barbara
        CA

Comment

FWIW, I have never weighed either Champ engine. Don't want to get close enough to catch cooties from that buzzing little anvil. However, one of those weights is wrong or the flathead is without accessories. No way does the ohv weigh 100# more than the flathead.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

I assumed the reference post gave the weight for a flathead six without
            "clutch" and the OHV 6 was with a "clutch" and the weight difference was
            the bell housing "clutch", which might explain the weight diffference.
            ...Dick (owner of a 169 cubic inch, cootie generator).
            The 1950 Champion Starlight
            Santa Barbara
            CA

Comment

I can't believe that a Champ engine weighs 400 pounds (though it has been about 30 years since I have lugged one around). Of course I was a bit stronger then, I actually pulled a Willys 134 from a CJ2A by standing on the frame rails and lifting it out.

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Working...
              X