Temp range Avanti got to 195 yesterday at highway speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Temp range Avanti got to 195 yesterday at highway speed

But didn't overheat or anything nothing really happened but it stayed at 180 for about 25 miles then in the last 10 miles of the trip it hit 195. Should I be concerned it was cooler at night on the way home and never went above 180 on the same highway.
    John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Originally posted by 289stude View Post
    But didn't overheat or anything nothing really happened but it stayed at 180 for about 25 miles then in the last 10 miles of the trip it hit 195. Should I be concerned it was cooler at night on the way home and never went above 180 on the same highway.
    It's normal for Avanti's to run a little hotter at highway speeds, one reason many add the air dam. BTW, 195 is not a issue.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP is absolutely correct. 195 degrees in an Avanti is nothing out of the ordinary. Even up to 210 degrees isn't bad but you do really feel it in the interior (and your feet!). All that's assuming your sending unit and gauge are accurate.

I have the air dam under the front end...it makes a big difference...10-15 degrees on the highway depending on outside temps and humidity.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

That is about where they should be running to cook the condensation out of the oil. Do you hear the thermostatic fan come on? If so, at what temp?

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

My Avanti will run in the 190 deg range on a warm day when I'm on the freeway. It has a 180 deg thermostat installed and it will normally indicate 180 around town. If you aren't losing coolant when the temperature rises, I wouldn't worry about it. Bud

Comment

How in the world can one hear the fan come on while on the expswy? In an Avanti with that exhaust???
            Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            That is about where they should be running to cook the condensation out of the oil. Do you hear the thermostatic fan come on? If so, at what temp?

jack vines

Comment

Working...
            X