Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Avanti Ride Height

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Avanti Ride Height

    Greetings,

    Anyone out there know what the front Avanti ride height should be? Say from the ground to the center of the inner a-arm shafts (at the front of the shafts--say the center of the bolt head) or whatever measurement is appropriate as long as it is definable. I'm trying to determine how much sag my springs have undergone. It is funny to me that the shop manual gives the minimum clearance on the rear "suspension" as 7 1/2 inches to the center of the carrier (when with the correct tires and inflation pressure that is a given), but makes no mention as to ride height at front nor from suspension or frame to ground at front or rear. Conversely, if no known figures are available could someone measure their's at the front with a rebuilt front suspension. Need to include tire size as well. I have 205-70 series tires which I think are about one inch shorter than the original 6.70 tires. Thanks.

    wagone and the Old R2 Avanti

  • #2
    I have 60 series tires on the front of mine and it has a 7 1/2" clearance to the spring pocket on the lower arm

    Bob Johnstone
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

    Comment


    • #3
      A couple different measurements on this thread, stock height can be
      figured using the tire diameters :

      http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...?TOPIC_ID=8844

      Tom
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

      Comment


      • #4
        Hey Bob,

        Thanks for the reply, but measuring that close to the wheel (the spring pocket is only a couple inches in from the wheel) is not going to tell much about whether the springs are sagging. Measuring there will tell more about the diameter of the tires than sagging springs. Need to get on the frame or body and get a measurement.

        wagone and the Old R2 Avanti

        Comment


        • #5
          My '63 has always seemed to have a severe rake with the back sitting up quite high relative to the front. And the top of the rear tires are FOUR inches below lip of the wheel opening in the body. However, as per Tom's measurement, the bottom of the front fender is 6 1/2 inches from the ground and the front of the x-member on my car is just about 4 7/8" (corrected-had said 5 7/8") from the ground. Same as his! To measure the wheel lip openings to ground is a little tricky as it is a must to use some sort of spirit level to ensure that the measurement is perpendicular to the ground--if not, a pretty large error can be introduced. The bottom line is that my front springs do not appear to be sagging--that is if Tom's tires are close to the same diameter as mine and his suspension is riding on stock or nearly so springs. What started my interest in ride height at this particular moment in time is the photos of Malcom Berry's car in the thread on the '57 sedan started by Bob Palma. I really like the lowered effect of Berry's car although it must be admitted that without a side shot it is difficult to judge the overall effect. Anyway, thanks for the measurements. And as someone mentioned it is difficult to get wheel well openings, tire and wheel diameter, and ride height to look right on an Avanti.

          wagone and the Old R2 Avanti

          Comment


          • #6
            quote:Originally posted by wagone
            And as someone mentioned it is difficult to get wheel well openings, tire and wheel diameter, and ride height to look right on an Avanti.
            Agreed. Maybe nearly impossible. I think Malcom nailed it [] ! Sorry I don't have a pure side shot of his car. Maybe someone here has one.


            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

            Comment


            • #7
              The STYLIZED wheel openings on the Avanti become a nightmare when you
              are trying to juggle wheel size, ride height, and offset. You have to
              give up one to get another pretty much. While I am not familar with
              Malcom's Avanti, I know that I dont have much to play with before my
              tires would hit 'something'. The front suspension is untouched, the
              rear I HAD to replace the springs because it was dragging its butt. I
              used station wagon springs (because some nice member gave them to me
              a few years ago when I was unemployeed) to get it back on the road. I
              had to add 2 inch thick lowering blocks to bring it down to a height
              that was acceptable. Funny, I thought the 4 leaf springs wouldnt be
              strong enough, and added a helper spring to them .. this was the very
              comical result [:I] :



              Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

              Comment


              • #8
                quote:Originally posted by wagone

                Greetings,

                Anyone out there know what the front Avanti ride height should be? Say from the ground to the center of the inner a-arm shafts (at the front of the shafts--say the center of the bolt head) or whatever measurement is appropriate as long as it is definable. I'm trying to determine how much sag my springs have undergone. It is funny to me that the shop manual gives the minimum clearance on the rear "suspension" as 7 1/2 inches to the center of the carrier (when with the correct tires and inflation pressure that is a given), but makes no mention as to ride height at front nor from suspension or frame to ground at front or rear. Conversely, if no known figures are available could someone measure their's at the front with a rebuilt front suspension. Need to include tire size as well. I have 205-70 series tires which I think are about one inch shorter than the original 6.70 tires. Thanks.
                I bought a 49,000-mile '64 R-2 several years ago and it sat very low in the front. The PO had put 265x60x15s on the rear and 235x60x15s on front (on Cragar mags). I took them off and installed 225x75x15s all around- still low in front. I had a set of original Avanti heavy duty front springs that were taken off a wrecked car in '65. I put them on thinking they would raise it. Gained height- zero. I also noticed that with the wheels pointed straight ahead, one tire was 3/4" further in to the wheel well than the other. The body had apparently been installed with that much offset as there was no indication that it had been off the car. I knew that the car had been wrecked in the right front and I could see where the framer horn had been straightened. I took the car to a body shop and a frame shop and both told me it was completely straight. I bought a set of spring spacers from Jon Myer, but didn't get them installed before I sold the car. So, I never found why it sat so low.

                [img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
                '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                Museum R-4 engine
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

                Comment


                • #9
                  Wagon,

                  I have an original report from Studebaker to the AMA which details everything about the car......tomorrow I will check the body and spring specs for you and report back.

                  quote:Originally posted by wagone

                  Greetings,

                  Anyone out there know what the front Avanti ride height should be? Say from the ground to the center of the inner a-arm shafts (at the front of the shafts--say the center of the bolt head) or whatever measurement is appropriate as long as it is definable. I'm trying to determine how much sag my springs have undergone. It is funny to me that the shop manual gives the minimum clearance on the rear "suspension" as 7 1/2 inches to the center of the carrier (when with the correct tires and inflation pressure that is a given), but makes no mention as to ride height at front nor from suspension or frame to ground at front or rear. Conversely, if no known figures are available could someone measure their's at the front with a rebuilt front suspension. Need to include tire size as well. I have 205-70 series tires which I think are about one inch shorter than the original 6.70 tires. Thanks.

                  wagone and the Old R2 Avanti

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    AMA...Who the heck are they? American MEDICAL Assoc.[?][?][?] LOL !

                    quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

                    Wagon,
                    I have an original report from Studebaker to the AMA

                    StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Automobile Manufactures Association.

                      quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

                      AMA...Who the heck are they? American MEDICAL Assoc.[?][?][?] LOL !

                      quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

                      Wagon,
                      I have an original report from Studebaker to the AMA

                      StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        OK,
                        This is what I found in the book:
                        Front bumper bottom to ground at normal section, min. height: 18.5 inches. Bottom of front door to ground, min dimension: 11.125 inches. Min road clearance and location: 5.75 inches (at chassis frame center "X" member). Body sill to ground-front... Measured vertically at foremost point of body sill (rocker panel) excluding flanges and front fender: 8.031 inches.

                        Hope this is of some help!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Malcom Berry did nail the Avanti with the lowered ride height.

                          The wheels and tire sizes he selected help with that look.

                          His Wagonaire is just as nice. If you ever see them in person, take time to look them over. The R2 factory experimental air cleaner on the wagon was a rare find.[8D]
                          sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Lammie,

                            Thanks for your factory measurements. Now if I can just understand exactly what the description of each measurement means I'll know more than I did before. For instance, I don't know what is meant by the center of the X member and it being the low point. The middle or center of X member is not going to be the low point...........unless the frame originally sat DEAD level and the rake was all the result of how the body was attached to the frame. And was there a difference in how the Avanti frame sat relative to the ground as compared to the Lark with the same frame? Also, I don't know what is meant in the last measurement by "excluding the flanges and front fender." Flanges is probably referring to the frame flanges but what is excluding the front fender referring to--unless the measurement is taken at bottom of rocker at some point BEHIND the front fender (front edge of door, perhaps?).

                            wagone and the Old R2 Avanti

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              PM me your fax number and I will fax the entire page to you! it has drawings.

                              quote:Originally posted by wagone

                              Lammie,

                              Thanks for your factory measurements. Now if I can just understand exactly what the description of each measurement means I'll know more than I did before. For instance, I don't know what is meant by the center of the X member and it being the low point. The middle or center of X member is not going to be the low point...........unless the frame originally sat DEAD level and the rake was all the result of how the body was attached to the frame. And was there a difference in how the Avanti frame sat relative to the ground as compared to the Lark with the same frame? Also, I don't know what is meant in the last measurement by "excluding the flanges and front fender." Flanges is probably referring to the frame flanges but what is excluding the front fender referring to--unless the measurement is taken at bottom of rocker at some point BEHIND the front fender (front edge of door, perhaps?).

                              wagone and the Old R2 Avanti

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X