No announcement yet.

Avanti Ride Height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Page e-mailed to you...very easy to understand!

Comment

Laemmie,

E-mailed or faxed? I e-mailed you a fax number yesterday. Please clarify. Thanks.

wagone

Comment

I attempted to e-mail the page to you.....it bounced back to me as undeliverable. Please provide a correct e-mail address.

Comment

For a car that seems to have an impressive following, it sure is not
          easy to find a picture of. I wonder if I have even seen it. I wonder
          how driveable it is at the "lowered" height, if I drop mine much more
          then I will have trouble with speed bumps. I guess if you tuck up the
          exhaust well enough (I have a few clamps hanging on my crappy example
          on the car now) you can just drag the frame over bumps slowly.....

Anyone have a link, or contact info? I would like to drop my Avanti
          about .5 to 1 inch all around, but Eaton Spring can not provide me a
          "stock" height starting point to measure from, which I could detirmine
          where it will end up. Since the car has had 40+ years to sag, I could
          get "lowering" springs that will sit right where it is now![B)]

Tom

quote:Originally posted by grobb284

Malcom Berry did nail the Avanti with the lowered ride height.
          The wheels and tire sizes he selected help with that look.
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Laemmie,
            My apologies, I did have an incorrect e-mail address in my profile. I've just now changed it. Please try again. And thanks for the patience.

wagone and the Old R2 Avanti

Comment

Tom,

I too am concerned about getting new springs hoping to set the ride height correctly and finding out after all that work that the "new" height is the same as the "old." My Avanti sits in the front at 16 1/2 inches from the bottom of the bumper center piece to the ground. Laemmie has stated that in his "spec" sheet it shows 18 1/2 inches. If I raise mine two inches it looks awfully high in front. A one inch raise at the front bumper to 17 1/2 inches is the highest and still have it look decent. If I jack it up that one inch then the height to the wheel well opening increases about 3/16 to a 1/4 inch and then is just about the 27 11/16 inch which, I believe, you said yours was. But I wouldn't want to install new springs (ok, my king pins could stand a rework) and have it be the same height to ground it is now! QUANDRY; but Laemmie's sheet may shed some light.

Comment

FWIW, measuring to the center section of an Avanti front bumper is not good science for comparing ride height. Those who have worked on the bumpers know there is so much slack in the mounting bolt holes and the whole bumper assembly is like a piece of spaghetti as far as rigidity. It could move up or down an inch or two depending on where it was tightened.

Tires make a huge difference in frame height measurements. Comparing the OEM tires with the larger 15" radials, not to mention the huge 17, 18 and 19" which some are using, makes true comparisons difficult.

thnx, jv

PackardV8
                PackardV8

Comment

Agreed, I think that the places a mesurement should be made, is frame
                  and wheel openings. This is needed to compare the spacers between the
                  frame and body .. which MIGHT be different between Avantis. I believe
                  I added the diameter of my aftermarket wheels AND a distance from the
                  center of the wheel to the ground - which IS the real number to be a
                  concern here. Keep in mind that even though a 75 series tire on a 15
                  inch rim, and a 45 series tire on a 17 inch rim could have different
                  overall diameters, they COULD have the same distance from the center
                  to ground due to the marshmellow-like sidewall flex the 75 series tire
                  has. The center to ground is the measurement that counts here.

Tom

quote:Originally posted by wagone
                  If I jack it up that one inch then the height to the wheel well opening increases about 3/16 to a 1/4 inch and then is just about the 27 11/16 inch which, I believe, you said yours was.
                  quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

FWIW, measuring to the center section of an Avanti front bumper is not good science for comparing ride height ...... Tires make a huge difference in frame height measurements. Comparing the OEM tires with the larger 15" radials, not to mention the huge 17, 18 and 19" which some are using, makes true comparisons difficult.
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

True, true, true PackardV8. We're trying to reduce the myriad of differences which could (will) affect this. Somewhere there has to be a standard or reference point.....admittedly subjective. But ya gotta start somewhere.

Comment

It's just me, but I'd be putting it where it looks the best, not where it was originally (if it can even be determined where it was originally). All stock Studes seem to be nose high which (IMHO) is a pretty awkward stance. I remember seeing pictures of cars being photographed for Studebaker ads with the opposite side from the camera jacked up to lower the side nearest the camera. Even Studebaker didn't like how their cars sat stock [:0].

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have been pretty happy with this height :

Tom

Comment

Tom,
                          That's not the BEST picture to judge how the wheels fit their openings, but it does look about right (allowing for the photograph, the shadows and the angle of the shot). And what did you use: one or two inch lowering blocks in rear?[?][?][?][?]
                          wagone and the R2 Avanti

Comment

True .. this one seems to show the rake the best :

I have to use 2 inch lowering blocks, BUT that was with Wagon springs.
                            The original Avanti springs were completely blown out with a reverse
                            arc, & fan-ed out leafs. They were shot. It kinda dragged its butt.
                            I am not happy using the blocks, unless I can eventually use the holes
                            I had put in them to mount a traction bar I am playing around with in
                            my head. I had two holes bored through the steel block from front to
                            rear to mount "something" to. Adding lowering blocks will increase a
                            leaf springs ability to wrap up adding to wheel hop.[V]

Tom

Comment

Please send me via pm the e-mail..I need to send you the attachment from my e-mail

quote:Originally posted by wagone

Laemmie,
                              My apologies, I did have an incorrect e-mail address in my profile. I've just now changed it. Please try again. And thanks for the patience.

Comment

Working...
                              X