Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

55 taillights on a 53 c/k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: 55 taillights on a 53 c/k?

Since my car will be a very frequent driver and since I'm about to bundle my shiny bits off to be chromed, I'm wondering if 55 taillights (with their better visibility from the side) fit up with the 53's bumper?

It looks like it would be a very subtle change (and easily returned to original) that adds a marginal bit of safety/practicality...

Thoughts?
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

They are a bolt on, but IMHO they are a little too "bulky" for the delicate lines of the early C/Ks. The 54 tail lights have curved lenses with visibility from the side but blend better with the car's lines (again, IMHO)

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Yep, they'll fit. I've always felt the '55 C/K tailamp lens/housing design was best looking of the '53--'56 series. (The improved 'visibility' is also a plus!)

Comment

Cool. Thanks Ed. I figured with any change (to either the 54 or 55) I'd end up having to change much more than just the housings and lenses.
        Dave Nevin
        Corvallis, OR
        Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

I found out I had '55 housings in my '53 and I could put rounded, or flat lenses in there...
          (thanks for the tip on the rounded ones, Brad)..

The SkyHawk lenses...

Here's a pic with the new SI rounded lenses.... (I don't know the correct term)

Way better than what I started with....

The SI lenses look great!
          Jeff
          Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 05-05-2012, 01:55 PM.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Wow that's pretty cool. So many options!
            Dave Nevin
            Corvallis, OR
            Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

I have a set of NOS 56-lenses and a great set of used lenses. both are for the C-K models PM me if interested cheersjimmijim
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Don't get confused with all the talk of swapping lenses. 55-56 lenses only work in 55-56 housings. (you cant put later lenses in 53 housings). 54 housings are a one year item too. (although, 53 lenses will fit 54 housings) Clear as mud???
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks Brad, Jim. Good to know--I'll have to see what I can come up with for housings and take a look at the differences in person at our next local chapter get together.
                  Dave Nevin
                  Corvallis, OR
                  Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Working...
                  X