Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1963 Radio Push Buttons - How To Lighten?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: 1963 Radio Push Buttons - How To Lighten?

The push buttons on my 1963 Studebaker radio have darkened with age. They are a light tan instead of white. Any suggestions on how to get them to lighten up?

Have you tried using a light abrasive like Turtle Wax scratch remover? The one in the yellow bottle. I used to use it to polish and brighten up the white plastic trim (bump strips on the doors) on my white 1997 Firebird. They would get dark and dirty looking and this really cleaned them up. After several times cleaning them I finally got smart, cleaned them well, and then masked them off and clear coated them. You might consider that too after you clean them. You can buy clear in a spray can in semi gloss that might look just right.

Comment

I've no personal experience with this, but a google of the right terms will show several web forums with discussions on cleaning yellowed plastics, mostly for "vintage" computers and games from the 70s and 80s where the cases have turned a nasty orang-ish yellow. Those turn yellow due to flame retardants in the plastic reacting with air and sunlight over time. Quite a few other forums reference this method and most point back to this source:

This forum discussion below is relevant since the guy used methods from the above to whiten the knobs on a early 60s mercury comet radio.

Seemed to work for those.

The peroxide/UV light method is supposedly for ABS plastic and I don't know what was used for the stude radios.

This site lists a few things to try including the peroxide/UV for the ABS above:

Plastic is everywhere from the thermostat cover to the microwave door, and over time it can turn yellow. Here are several methods for how to whiten yellowed plastic. Choose the method that will be easiest for you.

Sanding or polishing off the yellow surface layer may work as mentioned but may not depending how deep the yellowed plastic is.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Thank you Dougie and Jeff. I am going to try the retrobright mixture.

Comment

I fixed my yellow buttons on my Hawk radio by taking the chrome bezel off, pulling the buttons out to set stations, taping it up and spray painting the buttons a nice off-tone white. That was 5 years ago. It still looks brand new. Do the window cranks at the same time.

Allen
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

You may also try Formula 409, it really cleans plastic up quite well. I wouldn't soak them in it. (It might soften the plastic.) 409 is also a great cheap whitewall cleaner.

Comment

Attached is the before and after using the retrobrite solution. The final results are truly amazing!
              Attached Files

Comment

Wow. That is great. I am glad to know it worked out.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Good to know!
                  Great to see a forum question lead to a forum supplied solution...with feedback!
                  Should be a tech 'sticky'.
                  Jeff

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
                  Attached is the before and after using the retrobrite solution. The final results are truly amazing!
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                  X